Vasectomy - Picture Summary
This leaflet gives a brief summary of vasectomy. There is also a separate leaflet called 'Vasectomy' giving more detailed information.
Some key points
- Vasectomy is permanent - it is very difficult to undo.
- There is a small failure rate - rarely, the cut ends grow back together.
- Sex is not affected. Almost all semen is made in the seminal vesicle and prostate.
- The operation is easier than female sterilisation, and more effective.
- About eight weeks after the operation you will need to produce two semen tests about 3-6 weeks apart. If these are clear of sperm you will be given the all clear.
- You will need to use other forms of contraception, such as condoms, until you get the all clear.