Generic Name: Clindamycin/Benzoyl Peroxide
(KLIN-da-MYE-sin/BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide)Brand Name:
Acanya Gel is used for:
Acanya Gel is an antibiotic and drying agent combination. It works by killing the bacteria associated with acne.
Do NOT use Acanya Gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acanya Gel or to lincomycin
- you have a history of Crohn disease, severe stomach or bowel problems (eg, pseudomembranous colitis, regional enteritis, ulcerative colitis), or stomach or bowel inflammation or severe diarrhea caused by antibiotic use
- you are using a product that contains erythromycin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acanya Gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acanya Gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or bowel problems
- if you are using other medicines on the skin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acanya Gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, pancuronium) or succinylcholine because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Acanya Gel
- Erythromycin because it may decrease Acanya Gel's effectiveness
Ask your health care provider if Acanya Gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acanya Gel:
Use Acanya Gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Acanya Gel. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Acanya Gel must be mixed at the pharmacy before you use it.
- Before applying Acanya Gel, gently wash the affected area with a mild soap, rinse with warm water and pat dry. Apply a thin film of medicine to the affected skin and rub in as directed by your doctor. Wash your hands immediately after using Acanya Gel.
- Do not get Acanya Gel in your mouth, eyes, nose, or on your lips.
- Do not apply Acanya Gel to cuts or open wounds.
- Use Acanya Gel on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to use Acanya Gel even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Acanya Gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acanya Gel.
Important safety information:
- Acanya Gel is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, mouth, and other mucous membranes. If you get Acanya Gel in any of these areas, rinse them right away with cool water.
- Acanya Gel may bleach hair or colored fabric. Avoid getting Acanya Gel in your hair or on your clothes.
- Acanya Gel may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Acanya Gel. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other topical acne medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or apply more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Using Acanya Gel too often may make your acne worse.
- Do not use Acanya Gel for other conditions at a later time.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Acanya Gel before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Long-term or repeated use of Acanya Gel may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Be sure to use Acanya Gel for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramping, or bloody stools develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with Acanya Gel, check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it without first checking with your doctor.
- Acanya Gel should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acanya Gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if Acanya Gel is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while using Acanya Gel.
Possible side effects of Acanya Gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild burning, dryness, itching, peeling, redness, or stinging of the skin.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; severe burning, dryness, itching, peeling, redness, stinging, or swelling of the skin; severe or persistent watery diarrhea; stomach cramps or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Acanya Gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Acanya Gel:
Store Acanya Gel at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep tightly closed. Throw away any unused portion after 2 months. Keep Acanya Gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acanya Gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acanya Gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Acanya Gel. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acanya Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Acanya Consumer Overview
- BenzaClin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- BenzaClin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Benzaclin Consumer Overview
- Duac Prescribing Information (FDA)