Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution
Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone (a-SEE-tik AS-id/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)Brand Name:
Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution is used for:
Treating mild ear infections along with inflammation.
Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution is an antibacterial and corticosteroid combination. The antibacterial works by lowering the pH in the ear canal, preventing certain bacteria from growing. The corticosteroid decreases inflammation in a way that is not exactly known.
Do NOT use Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution
- you have a perforated or ruptured eardrum
- you have herpes simplex infection (eg, cold sores, genital herpes), chickenpox, or vaccinia infection
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution. Because little, if any, of Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution:
Use Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution is only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution in your eyes, rinse them immediately with cool tap water.
- Clean the outer ear gently with a cotton-tipped applicator.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from getting into your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning; itching; stinging.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation; sensitivity.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution:
Store Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about Acetic Acid/Hydrocortisone Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.