Ascor L 500
Generic Name: Ascorbic Acid
(ASS-kor-bik ASS-id)Brand Name:
Examples include Ascor L 500 and Betac
Ascor L 500 is used for:
Treating and preventing low levels of vitamin C. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ascor L 500 is a vitamin. It works by supplementing vitamin C, which is used in many functions in the body.
Do NOT use Ascor L 500 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ascor L 500
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ascor L 500 :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ascor L 500 . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, a high iron level in the blood, anemia (eg, sickle cell, sideroblastic, thalassemia), or kidney stones
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ascor L 500 . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because side effects may be increased by Ascor L 500
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ascor L 500 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ascor L 500 :
Use Ascor L 500 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ascor L 500 is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Ascor L 500 at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Ascor L 500 contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Ascor L 500 , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ascor L 500 .
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking Ascor L 500 unless directed to by your doctor.
- Ascor L 500 may cause incorrect results with some in-home cholesterol test kits. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking Ascor L 500 and need to check your cholesterol at home.
- Diabetes patients - Ascor L 500 may cause incorrect test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Ascor L 500 may cause incorrect test results with kits used to check for blood in the stool. Check with your doctor if you are taking Ascor L 500 when using the test kit.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Ascor L 500 , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ascor L 500 during pregnancy. Ascor L 500 is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ascor L 500 , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ascor L 500 :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning, stinging, or swelling at the injection site.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ascor L 500 :
Store Ascor L 500 in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Ascor L 500 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ascor L 500 , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ascor L 500 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ascor L 500 . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.