Aspirin with Codeine
Aspirin with Codeine (ASS-pihr-in/KOE-deen)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Aspirin with Codeine is used for:
Preventing and relieving mild to severe pain.
Aspirin with Codeine is an analgesic combination. It works to relieve pain by dulling pain perception in the brain and blocking certain chemicals in the body that cause pain, swelling, and inflammation.
Do NOT use Aspirin with Codeine if:
- you are allergic to aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone), or to any ingredient in Aspirin with Codeine
- you are a child or teenager and have chickenpox, influenza, or any other viral illness
- you have severe diarrhea due to antibiotic use
- you have a history of bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia, Von Willebrand disease), you have severe stomach problems (eg, ulcers), or you are taking anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aspirin with Codeine :
Some medical conditions may interact with Aspirin with Codeine . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel problems or surgery, trouble urinating, a blockage of your bladder or bowel, an enlarged prostate gland, kidney or liver problems, gallbladder problems, heart problems, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma, gout, low levels of an enzyme called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD), nasal polyps, Kawasaki syndrome, an underactive thyroid, adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), or a decreased amount of vitamin K in your body
- if you have a history of growths in the brain, recent head injury, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, bleeding in the brain, stroke, or seizures
- if you have chickenpox, influenza, or any other viral illness or a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aspirin with Codeine . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine, furosemide, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), para-aminosalicylic acid, valproic acid, or vitamin C because they may increase the risk of Aspirin with Codeine 's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), clopidogrel, COX-2 inhibitors (eg, celecoxib), heparin, 6-mercaptopurine, methotrexate, or NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of bone marrow problems, blood problems, severe stomach or bowel problems, and the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), insulin, meglitinides (eg, repaglinide), monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), penicillins (eg, ampicillin), sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole), or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Aspirin with Codeine
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because severe drowsiness, coma, and severe trouble breathing could occur
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, captopril), carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide), naltrexone, probenecid, quinidine, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Aspirin with Codeine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Aspirin with Codeine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aspirin with Codeine :
Use Aspirin with Codeine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Aspirin with Codeine by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food or a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL) to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Aspirin with Codeine , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aspirin with Codeine .
Important safety information:
- Aspirin with Codeine may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Aspirin with Codeine with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Aspirin with Codeine ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Aspirin has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give Aspirin with Codeine to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- Serious stomach ulcers or bleeding can occur with the use of Aspirin with Codeine . Taking it in high doses or for a long time, smoking, or drinking alcohol increases the risk of these side effects. Taking Aspirin with Codeine with food will NOT reduce the risk of these effects. Contact your doctor or emergency room at once if you develop severe stomach or back pain; black, tarry stools; vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds; or unusual weight gain or swelling.
- Aspirin with Codeine has aspirin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has aspirin in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Aspirin with Codeine before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Aspirin with Codeine may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Aspirin with Codeine .
- Use Aspirin with Codeine with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Aspirin with Codeine should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aspirin with Codeine while you are pregnant. Aspirin with Codeine is not recommended during the last 3 months (third trimester) of pregnancy because it may cause harm to the fetus. Aspirin with Codeine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Aspirin with Codeine , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Aspirin with Codeine may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Aspirin with Codeine stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Aspirin with Codeine for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you suddenly stop taking Aspirin with Codeine , you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; pain; rapid heartbeat; rigid muscles; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping; and vomiting.
Possible side effects of Aspirin with Codeine :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; heartburn; lightheadedness; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black stools; blurred vision; confusion; diarrhea; difficulty swallowing; fast heartbeat; fast, irregular breathing or shortness of breath; hoarseness; ringing in the ears or hearing loss; severe drowsiness or dizziness; sweating; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual thirst; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include cold and clammy skin; coma; confusion; dizziness; excitability; fever; garbled speech; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; mood or mental changes; nausea; rapid breathing; restlessness; ringing in the ears or trouble hearing; seizures; skin rash; slow or shallow breathing; sluggishness; small pupils; sweating; thirst; unusual sleepiness; vision changes; vomiting.Proper storage of Aspirin with Codeine :
Store Aspirin with Codeine at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aspirin with Codeine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aspirin with Codeine , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aspirin with Codeine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Aspirin with Codeine . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.