Attapulgite (at-ah-PULL-gyte)Brand Name:
Diarrest and Di-Gon II
Attapulgite is used for:
Treating diarrhea and cramping. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Attapulgite is an adsorbent. It works by helping your body to eliminate the bacteria causing the diarrhea.
Do NOT use Attapulgite if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Attapulgite
- you have a fever, or if you have blood or mucus in your stool
- you are taking a citrate salt (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Attapulgite :
Some medical conditions may interact with Attapulgite . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease or inflammation of the appendix (appendicitis)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Attapulgite . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Penicillamine or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Citrate salts because the risk of toxic effects from Attapulgite may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Attapulgite may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Attapulgite :
Use Attapulgite as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Attapulgite may be taken with or without food.
- Swallow Attapulgite whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Attapulgite is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Attapulgite with a full glass of water.
- Do not take Attapulgite at the same time as a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, doxycycline). Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how to separate these medicines from your dose of Attapulgite .
- If you miss a dose of Attapulgite and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Attapulgite .
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 48 hours or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor before using Attapulgite if you have abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting.
- Do not use Attapulgite in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age without first consulting a doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Attapulgite can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Attapulgite , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Attapulgite during pregnancy. It is unknown if Attapulgite is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Attapulgite , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Attapulgite :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Attapulgite :
Store Attapulgite at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Attapulgite out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Attapulgite , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Attapulgite is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Attapulgite . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- attapulgite Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Donnagel Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information