Augmentin ES-600 Suspension
Generic Name: Amoxicillin/Clavulanate
Augmentin ES-600 Suspension is used for:
Treating recurring ear infections in certain children.
Augmentin ES-600 Suspension is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Augmentin ES-600 Suspension or another penicillin antibiotic (eg, ampicillin)
- you have a history of liver problems or yellowing of the eyes or skin caused by Augmentin ES-600 Suspension
- you have infectious mononucleosis (mono)
- you have recently received or will be receiving live oral typhoid vaccine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Augmentin ES-600 Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Augmentin ES-600 Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of allergies, asthma, hay fever, or hives
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to a cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin) or another beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have kidney problems, phenylketonuria, or gonorrhea
- if you have a history of liver problems or yellowing of the eyes or skin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Augmentin ES-600 Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Probenecid because it may increase the amount of Augmentin ES-600 Suspension in your blood
- Chloramphenicol, macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin), sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole), or tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline) because they may decrease Augmentin ES-600 Suspension's effectiveness
- Methotrexate because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Augmentin ES-600 Suspension
- Live oral typhoid vaccine or hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Augmentin ES-600 Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Augmentin ES-600 Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension:
Use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Augmentin ES-600 Suspension by mouth with a meal or snack.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose. Be sure to rinse the measuring device after each use.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Augmentin ES-600 Suspension for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Augmentin ES-600 Suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Augmentin ES-600 Suspension may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Augmentin ES-600 Suspension only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Augmentin ES-600 Suspension may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Augmentin ES-600 Suspension. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Brown, yellow, or gray tooth discoloration has occurred rarely in some patients taking Augmentin ES-600 Suspension. It occurred most often in children. The discoloration was reduced or removed by brushing or dental cleaning in most cases. Contact your doctor if you experience this effect.
- Diabetes patients - Augmentin ES-600 Suspension may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed if you use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension for a long period of time. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially patients with kidney problems.
- Use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old who have diarrhea or an infection of the stomach or bowel.
- Augmentin ES-600 Suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Augmentin ES-600 Suspension while you are pregnant. Augmentin ES-600 Suspension is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Augmentin ES-600 Suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Augmentin ES-600 Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diaper rash; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; confusion; dark urine; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; vaginal discharge or irritation; white patches in the mouth; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased urination; severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; stomach pain; unusual drowsiness.Proper storage of Augmentin ES-600 Suspension:
Store Augmentin ES-600 Suspension in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any unused medicine after 10 days. Keep Augmentin ES-600 Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Augmentin ES-600 Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Augmentin ES-600 Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Augmentin ES-600 Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Augmentin ES-600 Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Augmentin ES-600 Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Augmentin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Augmentin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Augmentin Consumer Overview
- Augmentin XR Prescribing Information (FDA)