Multiple Vitamins with Calcium (VYE-ta-mins/KAL-see-um)Brand Name:
Examples include Avail and One-A-Day Within
Avail is used for:
Supplementing the diet with vitamins, minerals, and calcium.
Avail is a multivitamin and mineral combination. It increases the amount of calcium and vitamins in the body.
Do NOT use Avail if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Avail
- you have high levels of calcium in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Avail :
Some medical conditions may interact with Avail . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are dehydrated, have kidney stones, kidney problems, have unusual growths or tumors, or have excess calcium in your urine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Avail . However, no specific interactions with Avail are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Avail may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Avail :
Use Avail as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Avail may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Avail , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Avail .
Important safety information:
- Avail contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless directed to by your doctor.
- Avail may cause false test results with kits used to check for blood in the stool. Check with your doctor if you are taking Avail when using the test kit.
- Diabetes patients - Avail may cause incorrect test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Use Avail with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Avail , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Avail during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Avail , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Avail :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the proper use of Avail . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Avail :
Store Avail at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Avail out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Avail , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Avail is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Avail . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.