Azelastine eye drops for allergies - Optilast
Azelastine drops relieve eye inflammation associated with allergies.
It is usual to use the drops twice each day, although they can be used up to four times a day for severe symptoms.
It is not recommended that you wear soft contact lenses while you are using the drops.
About azelastine eye drops
|Type of medicine ||Antihistamine eye drops |
|Used for ||To relieve the symptoms of seasonal or perennial allergic conjunctivitis |
|Also called ||Optilast® |
|Available as ||Eye drops |
Allergic conjunctivitis causes red, watery, itchy eyes. Seasonal allergic conjunctivitis occurs at certain times in a year, a common cause being an allergy to pollen in the hay fever season. Perennial allergic conjunctivitis persists throughout the year. This is commonly due to an allergy to house dust mite or animal hair.
Azelastine eye drops relieve the symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis by blocking the action of a chemical called histamine, which is involved in the allergic reaction.
Before using azelastine eye drops
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, before you start using the eye drops it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you are pregnant.
- If you wear soft contact lenses.
- If the drops are intended for a child under 4 years of age. Azelastine eye drops are not recommended for this age group.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to an antihistamine, or to any other medicine.
How to use azelastine eye drops
- Wash your hands before you use the drops.
- Remove the cap.
- Tilt your head back a little and pull your lower eyelid down to form a pocket between your eyelid and eye.
- Hold the bottle upside down near to your eye. Try not to touch your eye as you do this.
- Gently squeeze the bottle to release one drop. Only if you think that you have missed your eye should you release a second drop.
- Close your eye for a minute or two, and press gently on the side of your nose where the corner of your eye meets your nose.
- Repeat the above steps for your other eye.
- Replace the cap on the bottle.
- Wash your hands again.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Before using the eye drops, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack.
- Azelastine eye drops should usually be used twice a day (morning and evening). If your symptoms are severe, your doctor may suggest using them up to four times daily.
- Do not use the drops for a period of more than six weeks.
- Take care not to touch your eye, fingers, or any other surface with the dropper of the bottle. This could infect the drops left in the bottle.
- If your symptoms do not improve within a few days, or if they become worse, check again with your doctor.
- If you are using any other eye drops or ointments, leave about ten minutes between applying each one.
- Do not wear soft contact lenses while you are using azelastine eye drops unless your doctor has advised you otherwise. This is because there is a preservative in the drops which can affect soft contact lenses.
- When first put in, all eye drops may cause blurred vision. This should quickly clear. Make sure you can see clearly before you drive, or use machines, or do any other jobs which could be dangerous if you were unable to see properly.
Can azelastine eye drops cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Common azelastine side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 10 people who use these drops ||What can I do if I experience this? |
|Blurred vision, eye discomfort (such as burning or stinging), redness and irritation ||These usually disappear within a few minutes of applying the eye drops. Do not drive or use tools or machines until your vision is clear |
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to these eye drops, discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store azelastine eye drops
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
- Eye drops only keep for four weeks once the bottle has been opened, so do not use azelastine if the bottle has been open for longer than this. This will help to prevent the risk of eye infections.