Caffeine (cah-FEEN)Brand Name:
Caffeine Solution is used for:
Treating certain breathing problems in certain premature infants.
Caffeine Solution is a methylxanthine. It works by stimulating the breathing center of the brain and widening certain airways in the lungs, which helps to improve breathing.
Do NOT use Caffeine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Caffeine Solution
- you are taking theophylline
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Caffeine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Caffeine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems, heart problems, kidney or liver problems, seizures, or diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Caffeine Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine, ketoconazole, or theophylline because side effects of Caffeine Solution may be increased
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because effectiveness of Caffeine Solution may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Caffeine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Caffeine Solution:
Use Caffeine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Caffeine Solution may be taken with or without food.
- Caffeine Solution comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Caffeine Solution refilled.
- Caffeine Solution is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Caffeine Solution at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Caffeine Solution contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Caffeine Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Caffeine Solution.
Important safety information:
- If symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor. Do not use more of Caffeine Solution than prescribed without talking with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including lung function and blood glucose, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Caffeine Solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Caffeine Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Caffeine Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Caffeine Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Caffeine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in the amount of urine; seizures; stomach pain or swelling; unusual tiredness (lethargy); vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fever; rapid breathing; seizures; spastic muscle movements; tremor; unusual jaw and lip movements; vomiting.Proper storage of Caffeine Solution:
Caffeine Solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Caffeine Solution at home, store Caffeine Solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Caffeine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Caffeine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Caffeine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Caffeine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Caffeine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- caffeine Oral, Parenteral Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Cafcit Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)