Calcium with ergocalciferol
- Calcium with ergocalciferol tablets are a vitamin D supplement.
- The usual dose is 1-2 tablets each day.
- You can chew or crush the tablets before swallowing.
About calcium with ergocalciferol
|Type of medicine ||Mineral and vitamin supplement |
|Used for ||To promote healthy bones |
|Also called ||Calcium and vitamin D |
(Ergocalciferol is also called vitamin D2 or calciferol)
|Available as ||Tablets |
Calcium and vitamin D are both important for healthy, strong bones. Ergocalciferol is a type of vitamin D. Vitamin D is mostly made in your skin by exposure to sunlight, and a lack of it is very common. Your body needs adequate supplies of vitamin D in order to absorb the calcium that you eat or drink in your diet. A mild lack of vitamin D may not cause symptoms, but can cause general aches and pains. A more severe lack can cause serious problems such as rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults.
If you are at risk of vitamin D deficiency, you will be recommended to take a vitamin D supplement such as calcium and ergocalciferol tablets routinely. These tablets are available on prescription or you can buy them at pharmacies, without a prescription.
Before taking calcium with ergocalciferol tablets
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, before you start taking these tablets it is important that your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have kidney problems.
- If you have ever been told you have high levels of calcium in your blood or urine.
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
How to take calcium with ergocalciferol tablets
- Before you start this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside your pack. The leaflet will give you more information about the tablets, and a full list of possible side-effects from taking them.
- Take calcium with ergocalciferol tablets exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. The usual dose is one or two tablets each day. Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you which dose is right for you.
- You can chew or crush the tablets if you find this helps make swallowing them easier. It can also help to take them with a drink of water.
- You may take these tablets at whatever time of day you find easiest to remember, but try to take your doses at the same time each day. This will help you to avoid missing any doses.
- If you do forget to take a dose, do not worry, just take your next dose when it is due. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Keep any regular appointments with your doctor so your progress can be monitored.
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with calcium and ergocalciferol.
Can calcium with ergocalciferol tablets cause problems?
These tablets are unlikely to cause any side-effects. If, however, you experience any symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
How to store calcium with ergocalciferol tablets
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.