Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops
Ciprofloxacin (SIP-roe-FLOX-a-sin)Brand Name:
Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops are used for:
Treating ear infections caused by certain bacteria.
Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops are a quinolone antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you allergic to another quinolone antibiotic (eg, levofloxacin)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops. Because little, if any, of Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops:
Use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops are only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Wash hands before and after using Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for at least 1 minute to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for at least 1 minute so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear.
- There is no preservative in Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops; each container is for a one-time use only. Use your dose right away after you open the container. Throw away the container and any medicine left in the container after you use your dose.
- Use your doses of Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops about 12 hours apart.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Talk to your doctor about how to space your doses if you are using other ear drops.
- Do not use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops for other ear infections or conditions without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops longer than recommended by your doctor. If you develop 2 or more ear infections in a 6-month period, contact your doctor. You may require further evaluation and a different kind of treatment. Report any discharge from the ear that occurs after the treatment has been completed.
- Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops are found in breast milk after use in the ear. Do not breast-feed while taking Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops.
Possible side effects of Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Discomfort, pain, or itching in the ear; headache.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased hearing; severe or persistent ear pain, itching, or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops:
Store Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 to 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Avoid freezing. Throw away any unused medicine after your treatment has finished. Keep Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ciprofloxacin Ear Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.