Generic Name: Docusate
Examples include Colace and Diocto
Colace Liquid is used for:
Relieving occasional constipation.
Colace Liquid is a stool softener. It works by helping fat and water into the stool mass to soften the stool.
Do NOT use Colace Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Colace Liquid
- you have undiagnosed abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, a history of bowel obstruction, or appendicitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Colace Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Colace Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of bowel obstruction
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Colace Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Mineral oil because its absorption may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Colace Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Colace Liquid:
Use Colace Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Colace Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Mix Colace Liquid with a half glass of milk, fruit juice, or infant formula before taking it.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Colace Liquid is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- A bowel movement usually occurs 1 to 3 days after the first dose.
- If you miss a dose of Colace Liquid and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Colace Liquid.
Important safety information:
- The risk of loss of normal bowel function may be greater if you take Colace Liquid in high doses or for a long time. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take Colace Liquid with other laxatives or stool softeners, unless directed by your doctor.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you develop rectal bleeding or fail to have a bowel movement after using Colace Liquid. These may be signs of a serious condition.
- Do not use Colace Liquid if you experience stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting, except under the direction of your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel movements that lasts for 2 weeks or more, check with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Colace Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Colace Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Colace Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Colace Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bitter taste; cramping; diarrhea; nausea; throat irritation.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of Colace Liquid:
Store Colace Liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Keep Colace Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Colace Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colace Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Colace Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colace Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Colace Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Docusate Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)