Dextroamphetamine (DEX-troe-am-FET-a-meen)Brand Name:
Dextroamphetamine Solution has a high potential for abuse and may be habit forming if used for a long period of time. Use Dextroamphetamine Solution only as prescribed. Do not share it with others. Abuse of Dextroamphetamine Solution may cause serious heart problems, blood vessel problems, or sudden death.
Dextroamphetamine Solution is used for:
Treating attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity (ADHD) in certain children. It is also used to treat a type of sleep disorder (narcolepsy). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dextroamphetamine Solution is a central nervous system stimulant. Exactly how it works is not known. It affects certain chemicals in the brain that may help to improve attention span and behavior.
Do NOT use Dextroamphetamine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dextroamphetamine Solution or to similar medicines
- you have severe hardening of the arteries; active heart or blood vessel disease; moderate, severe, or uncontrolled high blood pressure; an overactive thyroid; or glaucoma
- you have agitation, anxiety, or tension
- you take guanethidine
- you take or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- you have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dextroamphetamine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dextroamphetamine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you or a family member have a history of mental or mood problems (eg, bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis), uncontrolled muscle movements (eg, tics), Tourette syndrome, or suicidal thoughts or attempts
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, heart rhythm problems, heart defect), high blood pressure, seizures, stroke, abnormal electroencephalogram (EEG) test, growth problems, thyroid problems, certain blood problems (eg, the blood disease porphyria), hardening of the arteries, blood vessel problems, or you have had a recent heart attack
- if you have a family history of sudden death or heart rhythm problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dextroamphetamine Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone or MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of severe high blood pressure, fever, headache, and decreased heart rate may be increased
- Acetazolamide, propoxyphene, sodium bicarbonate, or thiazide diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide) because they may increase the risk of Dextroamphetamine Solution's side effects
- Ammonium chloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), chlorpromazine, glutamic acid, haloperidol, lithium carbonate, methenamine, reserpine, or sodium acid phosphate because they may decrease Dextroamphetamine Solution's effectiveness
- Meperidine, norepinephrine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), sympathomimetics (eg, pseudoephedrine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, desipramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Dextroamphetamine Solution
- Adrenergic blockers (eg, guanethidine), antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine), ethosuximide, or medicine for high blood pressure because their effectiveness may be decreased by Dextroamphetamine Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dextroamphetamine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dextroamphetamine Solution:
Use Dextroamphetamine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dextroamphetamine Solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Dextroamphetamine Solution refilled.
- Take Dextroamphetamine Solution by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Take your doses of Dextroamphetamine Solution 4 to 6 hours apart, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not drink fruit juice at the same time that you take Dextroamphetamine Solution. Certain fruit juices (eg, grapefruit, apple, orange) may decrease Dextroamphetamine Solution's effectiveness.
- Take Dextroamphetamine Solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Dextroamphetamine Solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Dextroamphetamine Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dextroamphetamine Solution.
Important safety information:
- Dextroamphetamine Solution may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dextroamphetamine Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Serious effects, including heart attack, stroke, and sudden death, have occurred with the use of stimulant medicines in patients with heart defects or other serious heart problems. If you have a heart defect or other serious heart problem, talk with your doctor about other therapies to treat your condition.
- Dextroamphetamine Solution may cause sleeplessness. Do not take Dextroamphetamine Solution near your bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Avoid large amounts of food or drink that have caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate). Caffeine may increase the side effects of Dextroamphetamine Solution.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dextroamphetamine Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Dextroamphetamine Solution may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Dextroamphetamine Solution.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure and heart rate, may be performed while you use Dextroamphetamine Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Dextroamphetamine Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Dextroamphetamine Solution may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take Dextroamphetamine Solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dextroamphetamine Solution while you are pregnant. Dextroamphetamine Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dextroamphetamine Solution.
Some people who use Dextroamphetamine Solution for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you suddenly stop taking Dextroamphetamine Solution, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include severe fatigue, drowsiness, mood changes, or sleep problems.
Possible side effects of Dextroamphetamine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; headache; irritability or restlessness; loss of appetite; mild weight loss; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset or cramps; trouble sleeping; unpleasant taste.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; change in sexual ability or desire; chest pain or tightness; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; jaw/left arm pain; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, aggression, depression, hostility, mood swings, new or worsening behavior or thought problems); numbness of an arm or leg; seizures; severe dizziness or headache; shortness of breath; significant weight loss or persistent loss of appetite; sudden vision changes; symptoms of stroke (eg, confusion, one-sided weakness, slurred speech); tremor; uncontrolled speech or muscle movements (eg, tics); unusual weakness or tiredness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include aggressiveness; coma; confusion; depression; fast breathing; fever; hallucinations; increased reflexes; irregular heartbeat; muscle pain; panic; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, or fatigue; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; stomach pain or cramps; tremor.Proper storage of Dextroamphetamine Solution:
Store Dextroamphetamine Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep in a tightly closed container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dextroamphetamine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dextroamphetamine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dextroamphetamine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dextroamphetamine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dextroamphetamine Prescribing Information (FDA)
- dextroamphetamine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- dextroamphetamine Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Dexedrine Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Dexedrine Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Dextrostat Prescribing Information (FDA)