Generic Name: Minocycline
Examples include Dynacin and Minocin
Dynacin Capsules are used for:
Treating certain infections. It may also be used with other medicines to treat severe acne, or for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dynacin Capsules are a tetracycline antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of certain bacteria and allowing the body's immune system to kill them.
Do NOT use Dynacin Capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dynacin Capsules
- you are taking acitretin, qisotretinoin, methoxyflurane, or a penicillin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dynacin Capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dynacin Capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems
- if you have an autoimmune disorder (eg, lupus)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dynacin Capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aluminum salts (eg, carbonate) or cimetidine because they may decrease Dynacin Capsules's effectiveness
- Acitretin, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine), insulin, isotretinoin, methotrexate, methoxyflurane, or theophyllines because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Dynacin Capsules
- Live oral typhoid vaccine, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), or penicillins because their effectiveness may be decreased by Dynacin Capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dynacin Capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dynacin Capsules:
Use Dynacin Capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Some brands of Dynacin Capsules may be taken with food. Others should be taken on an empty stomach. Check with your doctor or pharmacist about how to take your brand of Dynacin Capsules.
- Some brands of Dynacin Capsules must be swallowed whole. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if your medicine is a brand that must be swallowed whole.
- Take Dynacin Capsules by mouth with or without food.
- Take Dynacin Capsules with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Dynacin Capsules.
- If you also take bismuth salts (eg, bismuth subsalicylate), calcium salts (eg, calcium carbonate), colestipol, iron salts (eg, iron sulfate), magnesium, urinary alkalinizers (eg, daily antacids), sucralfate, vitamins/minerals, quinapril, didanosine, or zinc salts (eg, zinc sulfate), do not take them within 2 to 3 hours before or after taking Dynacin Capsules. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Dynacin Capsules for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Dynacin Capsules works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- If you miss a dose of Dynacin Capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dynacin Capsules.
Important safety information:
- Dynacin Capsules may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dynacin Capsules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Dynacin Capsules may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Dynacin Capsules. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Long-term or repeated use of Dynacin Capsules may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Dynacin Capsules only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dynacin Capsules before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Be sure to use Dynacin Capsules for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Dynacin Capsules. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Dynacin Capsules. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Dynacin Capsules with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Dynacin Capsules with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old who have diarrhea or an infection of the stomach or bowel.
- Dynacin Capsules should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 8 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed. Using Dynacin Capsules in CHILDREN younger than 8 years old or in women during the last half of pregnancy may cause a permanent change in the tooth coloring of the child.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Dynacin Capsules has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dynacin Capsules while you are pregnant. Dynacin Capsules are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dynacin Capsules.
Possible side effects of Dynacin Capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; blurred vision; bulging soft spots in infants; fever; headache; increased pressure in the head; inflammation of the pancreas (increased pulse, nausea, stomach tenderness, vomiting); joint pain, muscle pain or weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe skin reaction to the sun; stomach pain/cramps; trouble swallowing; unusual tiredness or weakness; vaginal irritation or discharge; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dynacin Capsules:
Store Dynacin Capsules at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed, light-resistant container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dynacin Capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dynacin Capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dynacin Capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dynacin Capsules. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dynacin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Dynacin capsules Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Minocycline Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Minocycline Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Dynacin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Minocin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Minocycline Capsules Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Solodyn Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Solodyn Consumer Overview