Ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine
- Ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets will only treat a migraine headache that has already begun. It will not prevent the migraine headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
- Do not take more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or more than 4 tablets in one migraine attack, or more than 6 tablets in any week.
- If you have already taken a course of ergotamine then do not take another in the next 4 days, and do not take more than 2 courses of ergotamine a month.
- These tablets should not be taken on a regular basis.
About ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets
|Type of medicine ||Ergot alkaloid |
|Used for ||Treatment of migraine headaches in adults |
|Also called ||Migril® (ergotamine tartrate with cyclizine and caffeine) |
|Available as ||Tablets |
Migril® tablets are used to treat migraines which have not responded to simple painkillers. All three ingredients in this tablet work together to treat migraine attacks and should be used at the first sign of a migraine attack to relieve the symptoms and to stop the attack getting worse.
Migraine can be caused by the widening of blood vessels in the head. Ergotamine eases the pain associated with migraine by narrowing these blood vessels.
Caffeine is used to enhance the analgesic (pain-killing) effects.
Cyclizine belongs to the group of medicines known as anti-emetics (anti-sickness) drugs. It is used to treat the nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting (being sick) often associated with migraine headaches.
Ergotamine is also available without cyclizine. There is more information about this in a separate leaflet called "Ergotamine."
Before taking ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets
Before taking ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets, make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you suffer from kidney, thyroid or liver problems.
- If you suffer from Raynaud's syndrome.
- If you suffer from heart or blood circulation problems.
- If you suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure) or porphyria (a rare blood disorder).
- If you smoke.
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal or complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
How to take ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets
- Before beginning treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet.
- Take your medication exactly as directed by your doctor. Never take more than your prescribed dose of these tablets.
- Take 1 tablet as soon as you feel you are getting a migraine. If you do not feel better, you may take a further half or one tablet every 30 minutes as long as you do not take more than a total of 3 tablets in 24 hours.
- Do not take more than 4 tablets per migraine attack.
- Never take more than 6 tablets in one week.
Getting the most from your treatment
- If you are having any treatment like an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are taking.
- Keep your regular doctor's appointment so your progress can be monitored.
- Migril® tablets must not be taken on a daily basis to prevent migraine.
- If you buy any medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with your other medicines.
Can ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, all medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. Speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side effects continue or become troublesome.
|Common side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 10 people who take this medicine ||What can I do if I experience this |
|Dizziness ||Make sure your reactions are normal before driving, operating machinery or doing any other jobs which could be dangerous if you were not fully alert |
|Stomach pain, feeling or being sick ||Eat little and often. Stick to simple foods |
Important: if you experience numbness or tingling in your hands or feet, pain in your chest or are passing less urine than normal then speak with your doctor immediately or go to your local accident and emergency department without delay.
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine tablets
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.