Famotidine Chewable Tablets
Famotidine (fa-MOE-tih-deen)Brand Name:
Pepcid AC Chewable Tablets
Famotidine Chewable Tablets are used for:
Treating heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach. It is also used for preventing heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach brought on by eating or drinking certain foods and beverages.
Famotidine Chewable Tablets are an H2 (histamine) blocker. It works by reducing stomach acid by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the release of acid into the stomach.
Do NOT use Famotidine Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Famotidine Chewable Tablets or other acid reducers (H2 blockers)
- you have trouble swallowing
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Famotidine Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Famotidine Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Famotidine Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), itraconazole, or ketoconazole because their effectiveness may be decreased by Famotidine Chewable Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Famotidine Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Famotidine Chewable Tablets:
Use Famotidine Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Famotidine Chewable Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Do not swallow tablet whole; chew completely.
- To relieve symptoms of heartburn, chew 1 tablet.
- To prevent symptoms, chew 1 tablet with a glass of water at any time from 15 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn.
- Do not use more than 2 chewable tablets in a 24-hour period unless directed by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Famotidine Chewable Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Famotidine Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Famotidine Chewable Tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Famotidine Chewable Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- If pain continues or you need to take this product for more than 14 days for heartburn symptoms, stop use and contact your doctor.
- You may need to make significant diet and lifestyle changes to help treat and prevent ulcers and other digestive problems, including stress-reduction programs, exercise, and diet changes.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood count, may be performed while you use Famotidine Chewable Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Famotidine Chewable Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Famotidine Chewable Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Famotidine Chewable Tablets while you are pregnant. Famotidine Chewable Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking his medicine.
Possible side effects of Famotidine Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions (seizures).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Famotidine Chewable Tablets:
Store Famotidine Chewable Tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 86 degrees F (20 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Famotidine Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Famotidine Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Famotidine Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Famotidine Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Famotidine injection Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Famotidine Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Famotidine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- famotidine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Pepcid Consumer Overview
- Pepcid Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pepcid Injection Prescribing Information (FDA)