Famotidine (fa-MOE-tih-deen)Brand Name:
Famotidine Solution is used for:
Treating and preventing ulcers of the stomach and upper small intestine; conditions that cause increased acid secretion (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome); gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, or the bubbling of stomach contents into the food pipe, which causes heartburn); and esophagitis, or inflammation of the food pipe due to acid reflux. It may also be used for certain conditions as determined by your doctor, which may not be listed in the professional package insert.
Famotidine Solution is an H2 (histamine) blocker. It works by reducing stomach acid by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the release of acid into the stomach.
Do NOT use Famotidine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Famotidine Solution or other acid reducers (H2 blockers).
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Famotidine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Famotidine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you will be administering Famotidine Solution to a newborn
- if you have kidney or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Famotidine Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), itraconazole, or ketoconazole because the effectiveness may be decreased by Famotidine Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Famotidine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Famotidine Solution:
Use Famotidine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Famotidine Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Famotidine Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Famotidine Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Famotidine Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- You may take antacids with Famotidine Solution unless directed otherwise by our doctor.
- Continue to use Famotidine Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Famotidine Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Famotidine Solution.
Important safety information:
- Famotidine Solution may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Famotidine Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Never self-diagnose or self-treat ulcers with this or any other medicine.
- Notify your doctor if you have any symptoms of a bleeding ulcer, such as black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
- You may need to make significant diet and lifestyle changes to help treat and prevent ulcers and other digestive problems, including stress-reduction programs, exercise, and diet changes.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood count, may be performed while you use Famotidine Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Famotidine Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Famotidine Solution while you are pregnant. Famotidine Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Famotidine Solution.
Possible side effects of Famotidine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions (seizures).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Famotidine Solution:
Store the injection that is NOT already mixed in the refrigerator at 36 to 46 degrees F (2 to 8 degrees C). Store the premixed injection at room temperature, 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Avoid exposure of the premixed product to excessive heat. If the injection is not used immediately after preparation, refrigerate the diluted solutions and use within 48 hours. Keep Famotidine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Famotidine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain local regulations for selecting an appropriate container and properly disposing of the container when it is full.
- Famotidine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- Do not use Famotidine Solution for other health conditions.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Famotidine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Famotidine injection Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Famotidine Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Famotidine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- famotidine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Pepcid Consumer Overview
- Pepcid Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pepcid Injection Prescribing Information (FDA)