Generic Name: Sodium Ferric Gluconate
(SOE-dee-um FER-ik GLOO-koe-nate)Brand Name:
Ferrlecit is used for:
Treating iron deficiency anemia in patients undergoing hemodialysis who are also receiving epoetin therapy.
Ferrlecit is an iron complex. It works by providing the body with its necessary level of iron.
Do NOT use Ferrlecit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferrlecit
- you have anemia not associated with iron deficiency
- you have iron overload
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferrlecit :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferrlecit . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
- if you have colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis, an ulcer, the blood disease porphyria, or thalassemia
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferrlecit . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, mycophenolate, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness may be decreased by Ferrlecit
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferrlecit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferrlecit :
Use Ferrlecit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ferrlecit is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Ferrlecit at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Ferrlecit contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- Ferrlecit should be taken 3 hours apart from the following medicines: bisphosphonates (eg, disodium pamidronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, penicillamine, tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline).
- If you miss a dose of Ferrlecit , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferrlecit .
Important safety information:
- LAB TESTS, including iron levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Ferrlecit with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Ferrlecit , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ferrlecit during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ferrlecit is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ferrlecit , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferrlecit :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
General feeling of discomfort; lightheadedness; tiredness; weakness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); nausea; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; severe pain in the chest, back, groin, or sides of the body; shortness of breath; vomiting; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include abdominal pain; diarrhea; difficulty breathing; drowsiness; vomiting.Proper storage of Ferrlecit :
Ferrlecit is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Ferrlecit at home, store Ferrlecit as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Ferrlecit out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferrlecit , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrlecit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ferrlecit . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrlecit Prescribing Information (FDA)