Ferrous Fumarate (FER-us FYOO-ma-rate)Brand Name:
Examples include Ferretts and Hemocyte
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Ferrous Fumarate is used for:
Preventing or treating low levels of iron in the blood. It also may be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ferrous Fumarate is an essential body mineral. It works by replacing iron in the body when the body does not produce enough on its own.
Do NOT use Ferrous Fumarate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferrous Fumarate
- you have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferrous Fumarate :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferrous Fumarate . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation of the colon, Crohn disease, digestive problems, ulcers, certain types of anemia, or a blood disease such as porphyria
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferrous Fumarate . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferrous Fumarate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferrous Fumarate :
Use Ferrous Fumarate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ferrous Fumarate is absorbed better on an empty stomach but may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), penicillamine, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, minocycline) along with Ferrous Fumarate , you may need to space the doses several hours apart. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how much time is needed between doses of Ferrous Fumarate and your other medicines.
- Do not take Ferrous Fumarate within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
- Take Ferrous Fumarate with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Ferrous Fumarate .
- If you miss a dose of Ferrous Fumarate , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferrous Fumarate .
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Do not take Ferrous Fumarate for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- Ferrous Fumarate contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- LAB TESTS, including blood tests and iron levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Ferrous Fumarate with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- Ferrous Fumarate contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ferrous Fumarate during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ferrous Fumarate , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferrous Fumarate :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; green stools; nausea; stomach upset.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; fever; vomiting with continuing sharp stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness; seizures; severe nausea; stomach pain; tarry stools; unusual tiredness; vomiting; weak, fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Ferrous Fumarate :
Store Ferrous Fumarate at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ferrous Fumarate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferrous Fumarate , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrous Fumarate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ferrous Fumarate . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ferrous fumarate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Femiron Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information