Generic Name: Polyethylene Glycol/Electrolytes
(bis-a-KOE-dil/pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kole/e-LECK-troe-lites)Brand Name:
HalfLytely and Bisacodyl Tablets Bowel Prep Kit
HalfLytely is used for:
Cleaning out the bowel before certain medical procedures (eg, colonoscopy). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
HalfLytely is a combination of 2 laxatives. One laxative works by changing the amounts of water and electrolytes in the intestines. The other works by causing the colon to move contents along more quickly.
Do NOT use HalfLytely if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in HalfLytely
- you have appendicitis; severe stomach pain; severe constipation; stomach, intestinal, or rectal bleeding; or a history of stomach or bowel disease (eg, blockage, retention, perforation, toxic inflammation, megacolon, ileus)
- you cannot swallow without chewing
- you will be having abdominal surgery
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using HalfLytely :
Some medical conditions may interact with HalfLytely . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a throat (esophagus) disease, ulcerative colitis, heart disease (eg, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure), swallowing problems (eg, history of aspiration or regurgitation), impaired gag reflex, electrolyte imbalances (eg, high blood potassium levels), kidney problems, or rectal bleeding of unknown cause
- if you have nausea, vomiting, or an undiagnosed stomach pain
- if you have a history of alcohol use
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with HalfLytely . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) because they may increase the risk of HalfLytely 's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if HalfLytely may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use HalfLytely :
Use HalfLytely as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with HalfLytely . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- For best results, do not eat solid food or drink milk on the day that you use HalfLytely . Drink only clear liquids and do not eat any solid foods from the time you start HalfLytely until your procedure is complete.
- To mix the solution, fill the container with the amount of water indicated on the package label. Use lukewarm water to mix HalfLytely to help the medicine dissolve faster. Shake well.
- Chilling HalfLytely improves the taste. Do not add sugar, sweetening agents, or other additives to HalfLytely .
- Some of these products come with a Flavor Pack. If this product comes with a Flavor Pack and you wish to use it, add the contents of the Flavor Pack into the bottle before you add the water. If you do not use the Flavor Pack, throw it away.
- To use the bisacodyl tablets - Swallow 2 tablets with water unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Swallow the tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before you take the tablets.
- The first bowel movement should occur about 1 to 6 hours after you take the tablets.
- Wait until a bowel movement occurs (or a maximum of 6 hours) and then begin drinking the solution unless your doctor has given you different instructions.
- To use the polyethylene glycol/electrolytes solution - Shake well before each use. Unless your doctor has given you different instructions, drink 8 ounces (240 mL) of the solution every 10 minutes until it is completely gone. It is best to drink each portion quickly rather than sipping it. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash after each glass of medicine may help get rid of the taste.
- Other medicines taken by mouth within 1 hour of taking the solution may not be absorbed or be effective. Contact your doctor or pharmacist with any concerns you might have about taking your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of HalfLytely , take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking HalfLytely before your test.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use HalfLytely .
Important safety information:
- The first bowel movement usually occurs about 1 hour after you begin drinking HalfLytely .
- Keep all doctor and lab appointments while you are taking HalfLytely .
- Do not drink large amounts of water during or after preparation for colonoscopy. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Use HalfLytely with caution in patients who are unconscious or partially conscious because they may be at greater risk for vomiting and inhaling HalfLytely .
- Use HalfLytely with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- HalfLytely should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using HalfLytely while you are pregnant. It is not known if HalfLytely is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use HalfLytely , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of HalfLytely :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bloating; faintness; nausea; rectal irritation; stomach fullness, cramps, or discomfort; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; muscle weakness; persistent or severe nausea or vomiting; seizures; severe bloating or abdominal swelling; severe stomach pain; slow or irregular heartbeat; vomiting of blood.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of HalfLytely :
Store the tablets and the powder for solution (before mixing) at room temperature, 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After preparing the solution, store it in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. Use the solution within 48 hours. Discard any unused portion of HalfLytely . Keep HalfLytely out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about HalfLytely , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- HalfLytely is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about HalfLytely . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.