Hyaluronate Sodium (HYE-al-ure-ON-ate SOE-dee-um)Brand Name:
Examples include Hyalgan and Supartz
Hyaluronate Sodium is used for:
Treating knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis who have not received relief from other treatments.
Hyaluronate Sodium is a hyaluronic acid derivative. It works by increasing the effectiveness of the fluid within the knee joint to act as a lubricant and shock absorber.
Do NOT use Hyaluronate Sodium if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hyaluronate Sodium
- you have an infection or skin disease near the joint or injection site
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hyaluronate Sodium :
Some medical conditions may interact with Hyaluronate Sodium . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to birds or bird products (eg, eggs, feathers, poultry)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hyaluronate Sodium . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Quaternary ammonium salts because side effects may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hyaluronate Sodium may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hyaluronate Sodium :
Use Hyaluronate Sodium as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Hyaluronate Sodium comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Hyaluronate Sodium refilled.
- Hyaluronate Sodium is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Hyaluronate Sodium at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Hyaluronate Sodium . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Hyaluronate Sodium is usually given as a series of injections 1 week apart for a total of 3 to 5 injections depending upon the particular product you are using. You may not experience relief until you have received several injections.
- Do not use Hyaluronate Sodium if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Do not use disinfectants containing ammonium salts to prepare the skin for injection because side effects may occur.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Hyaluronate Sodium , contact your doctor to establish a new dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hyaluronate Sodium .
Important safety information:
- Hyaluronate Sodium may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Hyaluronate Sodium with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- You may experience a temporary inflammation in your knee after using Hyaluronate Sodium . If the inflammation is severe or continues, contact your doctor.
- Avoid strenuous activity or prolonged (more than 1 hour) weight-bearing activity (eg, running, tennis, heavy lifting) for at least 48 hours after you are injected with Hyaluronate Sodium .
- Hyaluronate Sodium should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Hyaluronate Sodium , contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Hyaluronate Sodium while pregnant. It is not known if Hyaluronate Sodium is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Hyaluronate Sodium , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Hyaluronate Sodium :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Back pain; mild bruising, heat, redness, swelling, or pain at the injection site; temporary achy feeling; temporary knee inflammation.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Hyaluronate Sodium :
Hyaluronate Sodium is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Hyaluronate Sodium at home, store Hyaluronate Sodium as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Hyaluronate Sodium out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hyaluronate Sodium , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hyaluronate Sodium is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Hyaluronate Sodium . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.