J-Tan D Chewable Tablets
Generic Name: Brompheniramine/Phenylephrine
Examples include J-Tan D and Vazotab
J-Tan D Chewable Tablets are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, pressure, runny nose, and sneezing caused by colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
J-Tan D Chewable Tablets are an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, which relieves congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in J-Tan D Chewable Tablets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using J-Tan D Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with J-Tan D Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have phenylketonuria, trouble urinating, or trouble sleeping
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); asthma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; blood vessel problems; diabetes; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, lung problems (eg, emphysema), seizures, sleep apnea, stroke, thyroid problems, or ulcers
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with J-Tan D Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of J-Tan D Chewable Tablets's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by J-Tan D Chewable Tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by J-Tan D Chewable Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if J-Tan D Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets:
Use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take J-Tan D Chewable Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew J-Tan D Chewable Tablets well before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of J-Tan D Chewable Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- J-Tan D Chewable Tablets may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using J-Tan D Chewable Tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking J-Tan D Chewable Tablets without checking with your doctor.
- J-Tan D Chewable Tablets has brompheniramine and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has brompheniramine or phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- J-Tan D Chewable Tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to J-Tan D Chewable Tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- J-Tan D Chewable Tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking J-Tan D Chewable Tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take J-Tan D Chewable Tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using J-Tan D Chewable Tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- J-Tan D Chewable Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Different brands of J-Tan D Chewable Tablets may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Use J-Tan D Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using J-Tan D Chewable Tablets while you are pregnant. Do not take J-Tan D Chewable Tablets in the third trimester of pregnancy. J-Tan D Chewable Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking J-Tan D Chewable Tablets.
Possible side effects of J-Tan D Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of J-Tan D Chewable Tablets:
Store J-Tan D Chewable Tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep J-Tan D Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about J-Tan D Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- J-Tan D Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about J-Tan D Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- J-Tan D Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)