- Hyoscine hydrobromide helps prevent travel sickness.
- Follow the dosage directions on the label or pack. Do not take more than the dose recommended.
- This medicine may make you sleepy. If this happens, do not drive or use tools or machines.
About hyoscine hydrobromide
|Type of medicine ||Antimuscarinic |
|Used for ||Travel sickness |
To control secretions in the lungs, nose or throat
|Also called ||Joy Rides® |
Kwells®, Kwells® Kids
|Available as ||Tablets, chewable tablets, skin patch and injection |
Travel sickness is caused by repeated unusual movements during travelling. These movements (such as going over bumps or round corners) send lots of messages to your brain. The balance mechanisms in your inner ear feel different signals to those that your eyes are seeing and this sends your brain confusing messages. This then causes the symptoms of sickness.
Hyoscine hydrobromide stops mixed messages being sent to your brain which helps prevent you from feeling or being sick.
One of the other effects of hyoscine hydrobromide is to dry up any fluids in your body. For this reason, it can also be used to dry secretions in the lungs, nose and throat.
Before taking or using hyoscine hydrobromide
Before taking or using hyoscine hydrobromide make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have glaucoma.
- If you have prostate problems.
- If you have reflux, stomach or bowel problems (such as diarrhoea or ulcerative colitis).
- if you have heart problems or high blood pressure.
- If you have liver or kidney problems.
- If you have epilepsy.
- If you have porphyria (a rare blood disorder).
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a muscle weakening disorder).
- If you have Down's Syndrome.
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medicine.
How to take or use hyoscine hydrobromide
- Before starting this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack.
- Take hyoscine hydrobromide exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has advised you. Do not take more than the recommended dose.
- Hyoscine hydrobromide tablets should be taken half an hour before the start of your journey. Read the label on the pack carefully to see whether the tablets should be chewed before they are swallowed.
- If you are using a skin patch of hyoscine hydrobromide, apply one patch to a hairless area of skin behind your ear 5 - 6 hours before the start of your journey. Wash your hands after handling the patch. If you are going on a long journey, the patch can be removed and replaced with a fresh patch if necessary after 72 hours (3 days). Be careful to only use one patch at a time.
- The injection form of hyoscine hydrobromide for reducing secretions is usually given by a nurse or doctor in hospital.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Hyoscine hydrobromide may make you sleepy. If this happens, do not drive or use tools or machines. If you are using the patches, you may still feel sleepy the following day.
- Avoid drinking alcohol with hyoscine hydrobromide as it will increase the sleepiness you feel.
Can hyoscine hydrobromide cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Common side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 10 people who take this medicine ||What can I do if I experience this |
|Sleepiness, dizziness, blurred vision ||If this happens, do not drive or use tools or machines. Do not drink alcohol |
|Dry mouth ||Try chewing sugar-free gum or sweets |
|Constipation ||Try to eat a well balanced diet and drink plenty of water |
|Increased sensitivity to light ||Avoid bright lights. Wear sunglasses outdoors |
|Flushing, dry skin ||Keeping cool and using a moisturiser may help |
How to store hyoscine hydrobromide
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.