Generic Name: Potassium Bicarbonate/Potassium Chloride
(bye-KAR-bo-nate/po-TAS-ee-um KLOR-ide)Brand Name:
K-Lyte/Cl 25 is used for:
Preventing or treating low blood potassium levels when the amount of potassium in the diet is inadequate. It may also be used to treat low potassium levels caused by some diseases, severe or prolonged episodes of vomiting or diarrhea, or by certain medicines, such as diuretics.
K-Lyte/Cl 25 is a mineral. It works by replacing excessive potassium lost from the body because of disease or medicines.
Do NOT use K-Lyte/Cl 25 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in K-Lyte/Cl 25
- you have adrenal gland failure (Addison disease), elevated blood acid, elevated blood potassium, extensive tissue injury (eg, severe burns), kidney failure, or severe dehydration
- you are taking an aldosterone blocker (eg, eplerenone) or a potassium-sparing diuretic (eg, spironolactone, triamterene)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using K-Lyte/Cl 25 :
Some medical conditions may interact with K-Lyte/Cl 25 . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with K-Lyte/Cl 25 . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, lisinopril), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, spironolactone, triamterene) because the risk of high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Aluminum salts because the risk of their side effects may be increased by K-Lyte/Cl 25
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if K-Lyte/Cl 25 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use K-Lyte/Cl 25 :
Use K-Lyte/Cl 25 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take K-Lyte/Cl 25 by mouth with food or after a meal to prevent stomach upset.
- Do not remove the medicine from the package until you are ready to take it. Make sure that your hands are dry when you open the medicine.
- Do not chew or swallow the tablet. Place the tablet in a glass and add at least half a glass (4 oz/120 mL) of cold water, juice, or other beverage. Allow the tablet to dissolve completely and the fizzing to stop, then drink all of the liquid slowly over a 5- to 10-minute period. Rinse the container with an additional small amount of water and drink the contents to ensure the entire dose is taken.
- Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking K-Lyte/Cl 25 .
- If you miss a dose of K-Lyte/Cl 25 , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use K-Lyte/Cl 25 .
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Lab tests, including blood potassium, kidney function, and electrocardiogram (ECG), may be performed while you use K-Lyte/Cl 25 . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use K-Lyte/Cl 25 with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- K-Lyte/Cl 25 should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using K-Lyte/Cl 25 while you are pregnant. K-Lyte/Cl 25 is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking K-Lyte/Cl 25 .
Possible side effects of K-Lyte/Cl 25 :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; nausea; stomach discomfort; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; chest pain; irregular heartbeat; numbness or tingling in your lips, hands, or feet; stomach pain; unusual confusion or anxiety; unusual muscle weakness; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; weak or heavy legs.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; limp muscles; listlessness; muscle weakness or paralysis; slow or difficult breathing.Proper storage of K-Lyte/Cl 25 :
Store K-Lyte/Cl 25 at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep K-Lyte/Cl 25 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about K-Lyte/Cl 25 , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- K-Lyte/Cl 25 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about K-Lyte/Cl 25 . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.