Generic Name: Mineral Oil
(MIHN-er-uhl OYL)Brand Name:
Examples include Kondremul and Liqui-Doss
Kondremul Emulsion is used for:
Relieving occasional constipation and bowel irregularity.
Kondremul Emulsion is a lubricant laxative that works by slowing the absorption of water from the bowel, which softens the stool.
Do NOT use Kondremul Emulsion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kondremul Emulsion
- you have a blockage in your intestines
- you are bedridden
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kondremul Emulsion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kondremul Emulsion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, appendicitis, difficulty swallowing, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or rectal bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kondremul Emulsion. However, no specific interactions with Kondremul Emulsion are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kondremul Emulsion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kondremul Emulsion:
Use Kondremul Emulsion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Kondremul Emulsion on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Take Kondremul Emulsion at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Shake well before using.
- Pour the measured dose into a drinking glass and add a small amount (less than 2 ounces/30 mL) of water, milk, fruit juice, or soft drink. Stir and drink. Follow with additional liquid if needed.
- If you miss a dose of Kondremul Emulsion, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kondremul Emulsion.
Important safety information:
- Do not use this medication for more than 1 week unless directed to do so by your health care provider.
- Use of Kondremul Emulsion for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with Kondremul Emulsion unless directed by your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits which lasts for 2 weeks or more, do not continue using Kondremul Emulsion. Instead, check with your doctor.
- Do not take Kondremul Emulsion if you have difficulty swallowing without consulting your doctor.
- Kondremul Emulsion is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Kondremul Emulsion during pregnancy. It is unknown if Kondremul Emulsion is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kondremul Emulsion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); failure to have a bowel movement within 12 hours of taking Kondremul Emulsion; rectal bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of Kondremul Emulsion:
Store Kondremul Emulsion at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Protect from freezing. Keep Kondremul Emulsion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kondremul Emulsion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kondremul Emulsion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Kondremul Emulsion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.