Levocetirizine (LEE-voe-se-TIR-i-zeen)Brand Name:
Levocetirizine Solution is used for:
Treating allergy symptoms and chronic hives. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Levocetirizine Solution is an antihistamine. It works by blocking a substance in the body called histamine. This helps to decrease allergy symptoms and hives.
Do NOT use Levocetirizine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Levocetirizine Solution or to cetirizine
- you have severe kidney problems or you are receiving dialysis
- the patient is a child 6 months to 11 years old who has kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Levocetirizine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Levocetirizine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially any of the following:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Levocetirizine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- Ritonavir or theophylline because they may increase the risk of Levocetirizine Solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Levocetirizine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Levocetirizine Solution:
Use Levocetirizine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Levocetirizine Solution by mouth with or without food. Take it in the evening unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Levocetirizine Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Levocetirizine Solution.
Important safety information:
- Levocetirizine Solution may cause drowsiness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Levocetirizine Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Levocetirizine Solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- The risk of drowsiness may be greater if you take Levocetirizine Solution in high doses. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Use Levocetirizine Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Levocetirizine Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Levocetirizine Solution while you are pregnant. Levocetirizine Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Levocetirizine Solution.
Possible side effects of Levocetirizine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; drowsiness; dry mouth; sore throat; tiredness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); dark urine; fainting; fever; irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation); seizure; severe or persistent dizziness; shortness of breath; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; irritability; restlessness; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Levocetirizine Solution:
Store Levocetirizine Solution between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Levocetirizine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Levocetirizine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levocetirizine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Levocetirizine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- levocetirizine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Xyzal Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Xyzal Consumer Overview