Levofloxacin Eye Drops
Levofloxacin (lee-voe-FLOX-ah-sin)Brand Name:
Levofloxacin Eye Drops are used for:
Treating eye infections caused by bacteria sensitive to Levofloxacin Eye Drops. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Levofloxacin Eye Drops are a fluoroquinolone eye drop. It works by blocking bacteria from reproducing in the eye.
Do NOT use Levofloxacin Eye Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Levofloxacin Eye Drops or any other fluoroquinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Levofloxacin Eye Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Levofloxacin Eye Drops. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Levofloxacin Eye Drops. Because little, if any, of Levofloxacin Eye Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Levofloxacin Eye Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Levofloxacin Eye Drops:
Use Levofloxacin Eye Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Levofloxacin Eye Drops are only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- To use Levofloxacin Eye Drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Levofloxacin Eye Drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- Levofloxacin Eye Drops works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Levofloxacin Eye Drops for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not miss any doses of Levofloxacin Eye Drops. If you miss a dose of Levofloxacin Eye Drops, use it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Levofloxacin Eye Drops.
Important safety information:
- Levofloxacin Eye Drops may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Levofloxacin Eye Drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Be sure to use Levofloxacin Eye Drops for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Levofloxacin Eye Drops may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If you notice vision changes, vaginal irritation or itching, or white patches in your mouth, contact your doctor at once.
- Diabetes patients - Levofloxacin Eye Drops may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Levofloxacin Eye Drops should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Levofloxacin Eye Drops while you are pregnant. Levofloxacin Eye Drops are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Levofloxacin Eye Drops.
Possible side effects of Levofloxacin Eye Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Eye dryness; eye pain, burning, or discomfort; feeling of something in the eye; fever; headache; sensitivity to light; sore throat; strange taste; temporary decreased vision.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); eyelid itching; eye or eyelid swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Levofloxacin Eye Drops:
Store Levofloxacin Eye Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Levofloxacin Eye Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Levofloxacin Eye Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levofloxacin Eye Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Levofloxacin Eye Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.