Generic Name: Megestrol
Megace Suspension is used for:
Treating loss of appetite and weight loss in certain patients. It is also used to treat unexplained, significant weight loss in patients who have AIDS. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Megace Suspension is a progesterone hormone. Exactly how it works to treat loss of appetite and weight loss is unknown.
Do NOT use Megace Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Megace Suspension
- you are pregnant or suspect that you could be pregnant
- you have undiagnosed vaginal bleeding or a history of blood clotting problems (eg, blood clots in the lungs or legs) or stroke
- you are taking dofetilide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Megace Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Megace Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have adrenal gland problems, diabetes, or cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Megace Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rifampin because it may decrease Megace Suspension's effectiveness
- Dofetilide because the risk of heart problems, including irregular heartbeat, may be increased
- Indinavir because its effectiveness may be decreased by Megace Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Megace Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Megace Suspension:
Use Megace Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Megace Suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Megace Suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If more than one dose is missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Megace Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Megace Suspension may reduce the amount of natural steroid your body makes. This may occur while you take Megace Suspension or after you stop taking it. Tell your doctor right away if you notice symptoms such as unusual weakness, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting. You may need to take a corticosteroid (eg, prednisone), especially if you experience a period of physical stress (eg, major infection, surgery, injury).
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Megace Suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Megace Suspension is not intended for use in the prevention of weight loss.
- Megace Suspension may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Diabetes patients - Megace Suspension may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Megace Suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Women who may become pregnant should use a nonhormonal form of birth control (eg, condoms) while they use Megace Suspension.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Megace Suspension if you are pregnant. It may cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Megace Suspension is found in the breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Megace Suspension.
Possible side effects of Megace Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Difficulty sleeping; gas; headache; indigestion.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf pain or tenderness; chest pain; coughing up blood; decreased sexual desire or ability; depression; dizziness; increased appetite, thirst, or urination; irregular heartbeat; leg pain; menstrual changes; muscle weakness; nausea; seizures; shortness of breath; signs of infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); swelling of the ankles or fingers; unexplained vaginal bleeding; unusual thoughts; unusual weight gain in the face; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Megace Suspension:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Megace Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Megace Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Megace Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Megace Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Megace Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Megace Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Megestrol Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Megace ES Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Megace ES Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Megace ES Consumer Overview