Metaproterenol (met-a-proe-TER-e-nol)Brand Name:
Metaproterenol Aerosol is used for:
Treating or preventing symptoms of asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, and other reversible breathing problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Metaproterenol Aerosol is a beta-adrenergic agonist bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the smooth muscle in the airways, allowing air to flow in and out of the lungs more easily.
Do NOT use Metaproterenol Aerosol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Metaproterenol Aerosol
- you have had an unexpected reaction to another sympathomimetic (eg, albuterol, pseudoephedrine)
- you have a fast heartbeat
- you are taking another beta-adrenergic bronchodilator (eg, albuterol) or droxidopa
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Metaproterenol Aerosol:
Some medical conditions may interact with Metaproterenol Aerosol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure) or high blood pressure
- if you have a history of seizures (eg, epilepsy), diabetes, an overactive thyroid, or have an adrenal gland tumor (eg, pheochromocytoma)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Metaproterenol Aerosol. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the effectiveness of Metaproterenol Aerosol may be decreased
- Beta-adrenergic bronchodilators (eg, albuterol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sympathomimetics (eg, pseudoephedrine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects may be increased by Metaproterenol Aerosol
- Droxidopa because the risk of side effects, such as irregular heartbeat or heart attack, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Metaproterenol Aerosol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Metaproterenol Aerosol:
Use Metaproterenol Aerosol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Metaproterenol Aerosol comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Metaproterenol Aerosol refilled.
- Avoid getting Metaproterenol Aerosol in your eyes. If you get Metaproterenol Aerosol in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- Shake the inhaler well immediately before using.
- Remove the protective cap from the mouthpiece and check to make sure there are no hidden foreign objects.
- Exhale fully through the mouth, pushing as much air out of your lungs as possible. Be sure to hold the inhaler in an upright position. Place the mouthpiece fully into the mouth, holding the inhaler upright and closing the lips around it.
- While breathing in slowly and deeply through the mouth, fully depress the top of the metal canister with your index finger.
- Hold your breath as long as possible. Before breathing out, remove the inhaler from your mouth and release your finger from the canister.
- If it is necessary to use another inhalation, wait at least 2 minutes before using the next inhalation.
- Do not use more than 12 inhalations in 1 day unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Clean the plastic case and cap by rinsing in hot water at least once a week. If you use soap, be sure to rinse thoroughly with plain water afterward. Allow the mouthpiece to air dry overnight. After drying the plastic case and cap, replace the canister and place the cap back on the mouthpiece.
- Always remember to test spray, pointing away from your eyes, before using for the first time or if it has been a long time (more than 2 weeks) since the aerosol has been used.
- Once you have use the canister for the number of times listed on the label, throw the canister away.
- If you miss a dose of Metaproterenol Aerosol, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Metaproterenol Aerosol.
Important safety information:
- Metaproterenol Aerosol may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Metaproterenol Aerosol. Using Metaproterenol Aerosol alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Metaproterenol Aerosol for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use this mouthpiece for other medicines.
- If the asthma attack continues or worsens, contact your doctor.
- If the usual dose fails to provide relief or if you need to use it more often than normal, contact your doctor at once. This may be a sign of seriously worsening asthma, which may require changing your medication.
- Contact your health care provider about taking other asthma or inhaled medications while taking Metaproterenol Aerosol.
- The contents of Metaproterenol Aerosol are under pressure. Do not burn, break, or puncture the canister even if it appears to be empty.
- LAB TESTS, including lung function, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Metaproterenol Aerosol with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Metaproterenol Aerosol in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use of Metaproterenol Aerosol is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Metaproterenol Aerosol during pregnancy. It is unknown if Metaproterenol Aerosol is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while using Metaproterenol Aerosol, contact your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Metaproterenol Aerosol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Cough; difficulty sleeping; dizziness; headache; hyperactivity; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset; throat irritation.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; increased difficulty breathing; itching; numbness of an arm or leg; pounding in the chest; severe or persistent dizziness; sudden, severe headache; swelling; tremors; vision changes; vomiting; wheezing; worsened asthma symptoms.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent nervousness, headache, nausea, dizziness, or trouble sleeping.Proper storage of Metaproterenol Aerosol:
Store Metaproterenol Aerosol at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Metaproterenol Aerosol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Metaproterenol Aerosol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Metaproterenol Aerosol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Metaproterenol Aerosol. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Metaproterenol tablets Prescribing Information (FDA)
- metaproterenol Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- metaproterenol Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Alupent Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Alupent Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Metaproterenol Prescribing Information (FDA)