Generic Name: Calcitonin-Salmon
Miacalcin is used for:
Treating Paget disease, postmenopausal osteoporosis (fragile or brittle bones), and high blood calcium levels. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Miacalcin is a hormone. It works by regulating calcium in the blood and bone.
Do NOT use Miacalcin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Miacalcin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Miacalcin :
Some medical conditions may interact with Miacalcin . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Miacalcin . However, no specific interactions with Miacalcin are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Miacalcin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Miacalcin :
Use Miacalcin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Miacalcin is sometimes given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Miacalcin at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Miacalcin . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Miacalcin if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Miacalcin , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Miacalcin .
Important safety information:
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider.
- Miacalcin should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Miacalcin while you are pregnant. It is not known if Miacalcin is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Miacalcin , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Miacalcin :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; flushing of the face or hands; increased frequency of urination; loss of appetite; metallic taste in mouth; nausea; reaction, redness, or pain at injection site; stomach pain; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Miacalcin :
Store Miacalcin in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep Miacalcin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Miacalcin , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Miacalcin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Miacalcin . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Miacalcin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Miacalcin Nasal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Miacalcin Consumer Overview
- calcitonin Parenteral Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Fortical Consumer Overview
- Fortical Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Miacalcin Prescribing Information (FDA)