Monistat 3 Suppositories
Generic Name: Miconazole
Monistat 3 Suppositories are used for:
Treating vaginal yeast infections.
Monistat 3 Suppositories are an antifungal agent. It works by weakening the cell membrane of the fungus, resulting in the death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Monistat 3 Suppositories if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Monistat 3 Suppositories
- you have never had a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed by a doctor
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Monistat 3 Suppositories:
Some medical conditions may interact with Monistat 3 Suppositories. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have the blood disease porphyria or a history of liver disease, or you have been exposed to HIV
- if you have stomach, shoulder, or lower back pain; fever; chills; nausea; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; or vomiting
- if this is the first time you have had vaginal itching and discomfort
- if you have vaginal yeast infections often (eg, once a month or 3 in 6 months)
- if you are taking antibiotics
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Monistat 3 Suppositories. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of side effects such as bruising or bleeding may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Monistat 3 Suppositories may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Monistat 3 Suppositories:
Use Monistat 3 Suppositories as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Monistat 3 Suppositories comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Monistat 3 Suppositories refilled.
- Monistat 3 Suppositories are for vaginal use only. Do not use in the eyes or take by mouth.
- Using the applicator provided, insert 1 suppository high into the vagina at bedtime for 3 days.
- Some forms of this product come with 3 disposable applicators. If this product contains disposable applicators, throw away each applicator after use.
- Some forms of this product come with one applicator to be used for all 3 days of treatment. If this product contains only one applicator, do not throw it away after use. Separate the pieces of the applicator and wash with warm, soapy water immediately after use. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure applicator is completely dry before the next use.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Monistat 3 Suppositories.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Monistat 3 Suppositories for the full course of treatment.
- If you miss a dose of Monistat 3 Suppositories, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Monistat 3 Suppositories.
Important safety information:
- Monistat 3 Suppositories are for vaginal use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Monistat 3 Suppositories in your eyes, flush with a generous amount of cool water.
- It is important to use Monistat 3 Suppositories for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Monistat 3 Suppositories and increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to Monistat 3 Suppositories and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 3 days, if they last more than 7 days, or if they become worse, stop using Monistat 3 Suppositories and contact your health care provider at once. You may have a more serious illness.
- Do not use Monistat 3 Suppositories for itching caused by other conditions.
- Dry the outside vaginal area completely after showering, bathing, or swimming. Do not go swimming for at least 9 to 12 hours after applying Monistat 3 Suppositories. Change out of wet bathing suits or damp workout clothes as soon as possible.
- Continue using Monistat 3 Suppositories even during your menstrual period. Do not use tampons while you are using Monistat 3 Suppositories or until all of your symptoms go away. Use unscented pads or pantiliners.
- Do not have vaginal sexual intercourse while you are using Monistat 3 Suppositories.
- Monistat 3 Suppositories may decrease the effectiveness of condoms and diaphragms, increasing the chance of pregnancy or risk of sexually transmitted disease.
- Do not use tampons, douches, spermicides, or other vaginal products while using Monistat 3 Suppositories.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Do not use Monistat 3 Suppositories in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Monistat 3 Suppositories, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Monistat 3 Suppositories during pregnancy. It is unknown if Monistat 3 Suppositories are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Monistat 3 Suppositories, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects of Monistat 3 Suppositories:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; mild vaginal burning, irritation, or itching; stomach cramps.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever or chills; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; nausea; severe or prolonged vaginal burning, irritation, or itching; stomach pain; swelling; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Monistat 3 Suppositories:
Store Monistat 3 Suppositories at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use if the wrapper on the applicator or suppository is torn or damaged. Keep Monistat 3 Suppositories out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Monistat 3 Suppositories, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Monistat 3 Suppositories are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Monistat 3 Suppositories. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Monistat 3 Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Monistat 3 Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Aloe Vesta Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Baza Antifungal Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Cruex Prescription Strength Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information