Nutropin AQ Pen
Generic Name: Somatropin
(rDNA origin - Refrigerated) (SOE-ma-TROE-pin)Brand Name:
Nutropin AQ Pen
Nutropin AQ Pen is used for:
Treating certain children or adults when the body does not produce enough growth hormone. It is also used to treat certain children who are not growing normally due to Turner syndrome or other conditions (eg, chronic kidney problems, idiopathic short stature). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nutropin AQ Pen is a growth hormone that produces effects that are identical to the body's naturally occurring growth hormone. It affects the growth of bones, muscles, internal organs, and other tissues of the body.
Do NOT use Nutropin AQ Pen if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nutropin AQ Pen
- you have been or are being treated for cancer or any unusual growths or tumors (especially in the brain) that may still be growing
- you have premature epiphyseal closure (your bone growth is complete) or a serious illness caused by complications from surgery, trauma, or severe breathing problems (eg, respiratory failure)
- you have certain eye problems caused by diabetes (eg, diabetic retinopathy)
- you have Prader-Willi syndrome and are severely overweight or have severe breathing problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nutropin AQ Pen :
Some medical conditions may interact with Nutropin AQ Pen . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have endocrine problems including pituitary or adrenal gland problems, diabetes or a family history of diabetes, eye problems caused by diabetes, or an underactive thyroid
- if you have a history of leukemia, unusual growths or tumors (especially in the brain), or cancer
- if you have curvature of the spine (scoliosis), kidney or liver problems, ear or hearing problems (eg, repeated ear infection), Prader-Willi syndrome, are severely overweight, or have had recent major surgery or trauma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nutropin AQ Pen . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) because they may decrease Nutropin AQ Pen 's effectiveness
- Anticonvulsants (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine) or cyclosporine because the risk of their side effects may be increased or their effectiveness may be decreased by Nutropin AQ Pen
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nutropin AQ Pen may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nutropin AQ Pen :
Use Nutropin AQ Pen as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Nutropin AQ Pen . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Nutropin AQ Pen is given as an injection. A health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Nutropin AQ Pen . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Allow Nutropin AQ Pen to come to room temperature before you use it.
- Use Nutropin AQ Pen with the correct pen and cartridge combination. Check with your pharmacist or doctor if you have any questions.
- Wash your hands before and immediately after using Nutropin AQ Pen .
- Use a new needle each time you inject Nutropin AQ Pen . Do not reuse needles.
- Do not use Nutropin AQ Pen if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the pen or cartridge is cracked or damaged.
- Use the proper technique taught to you by your doctor. Inject deep under the skin, NOT into muscle.
- Always rotate injection sites each time you use Nutropin AQ Pen .
- Do not shake Nutropin AQ Pen . Swirl gently to mix it.
- If you need to clean the pen, you may use a damp cloth to wipe it. Do not place it underwater.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Nutropin AQ Pen , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nutropin AQ Pen .
Important safety information:
- Nutropin AQ Pen may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Nutropin AQ Pen with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Nutropin AQ Pen may have benzyl alcohol, metacresol, or glycerin in it. Tell your doctor if you have ever had sensitivity or an allergic reaction to benzyl alcohol, metacresol, or glycerin.
- Diabetes patients - Nutropin AQ Pen may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine or your diet.
- Lab tests, including blood sugar levels and thyroid function, may be performed while you use Nutropin AQ Pen . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Nutropin AQ Pen with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Rare, sometimes fatal, lung and breathing problems may be caused by Nutropin AQ Pen in CHILDREN with Prader-Willi syndrome. Those at higher risk include males, severely overweight children, or children with existing serious lung or breathing problems. Children should be checked for certain breathing problems before and during treatment. If your child develops a limp or complains of hip or knee pain during treatment with Nutropin AQ Pen , contact your doctor immediately. Tell your doctor immediately if your child becomes very sick or is hospitalized while using Nutropin AQ Pen . Nutropin AQ Pen may need to be stopped.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nutropin AQ Pen while you are pregnant. It is not known if Nutropin AQ Pen is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nutropin AQ Pen , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nutropin AQ Pen :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Discomfort at the injection site; mild swelling (eg, of the hands or feet); muscle or joint pain.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); body pain or stiffness; burning, tingling, itching, or numbness in the palm of the hand, fingers, or wrist; change in appearance or size of a mole; chest pain; confusion; constant feeling of need to empty the bowel; curvature of the spine; depression; ear pain, discharge, or discomfort; excessive thirst or hunger; fast heartbeat; fever; frequent urination; hearing problems; increased pressure in the head or eye; infection; nausea; one-sided weakness; severe or persistent swelling of the ankles, legs, hands, or feet; slurred speech; stomach pain; sudden, severe, or persistent headache or dizziness; visual changes; vomiting.
Children: Ear discomfort or infection; fatigue or weakness; fever, persistent cough, or trouble breathing; hip or knee pain; leukemia; limp; seizures; snoring or irregular breathing during sleep; worsening of psoriasis.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive thirst or hunger; frequent urination; headache; nausea or vomiting; swelling of the ankles, feet, or hands.Proper storage of Nutropin AQ Pen :
Before mixing, store Nutropin AQ Pen in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Protect from heat, moisture, and light. Do not use Nutropin AQ Pen past the expiration date on the product label. After mixing, store Nutropin AQ Pen according to the product label. Contact your pharmacist if you have any questions about the proper storage of Nutropin AQ Pen . Keep Nutropin AQ Pen , as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nutropin AQ Pen , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nutropin AQ Pen is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nutropin AQ Pen . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.