- These drops act as artificial tears.
- Use the drops as often as needed.
- If your vision becomes blurred after using the drops, do not drive until you can see clearly again.
About sodium hyaluronate eye drops
|Type of medicine ||Eye lubricant |
|Used for ||Dry eyes |
|Also called ||Artelac Splash® |
Hylo-Care®, Hylo-Forte®, Hylo-Tear®
|Available as ||Eye drops and single-dose unit eye drops |
Sodium hyaluronate moistens and lubricates the surface of your eye. It acts as artificial tears to help ease dryness and soreness associated with dry eye conditions.
Before using sodium hyaluronate
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and sometimes a medicine may only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you start using sodium hyaluronate eye drops it is important that your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sodium hyaluronate or to any other eye drops.
How to use sodium hyaluronate eye drops
- Wash your hands well before you use the drops.
- Remove the cap (or twist off the tip of the unit if you are using a single-use dose unit).
- Tilt your head back a little and pull the lower lid of your eye out to form a pocket.
- Hold the bottle (or single-use dose unit) upside down near to your eye. Try not to touch your eye as you do this.
- Apply enough pressure to release one drop into your eye.
- Close your eye for a minute or two, and press gently on the side of your nose where the corner of your eye meets your nose. This helps to stop the drop from draining away and keeps it in your eye.
- Repeat the process in your other eye if you have been told to use the drops in both eyes.
- Replace the cap (or if you are using the single-use dose unit, throw it away).
Getting the most from your treatment
- Before you start using these eye drops, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from the pack.
- Use one drop into the eye (or eyes) affected by dryness. You can use the drops as often as you need to, unless you have been told otherwise by your doctor.
- Take care not to touch the tip of the dropper or opened single-dose unit with your eye, fingers, or any other surface. This is to prevent the drops from becoming contaminated.
- If you are using any other eye drops, leave about ten minutes between applying each one. Sodium hyaluronate should be the last ones used.
- When first put in, eye drops may sometimes cause blurred vision. If this happens, it should quickly clear. Make sure you can see clearly before you drive, or use tools or machines.
- If your symptoms do not improve within a few days, or if they become worse, see your doctor for further advice.
- Do not wear soft contact lenses if you are using eye drops from a bottle unless your doctor has advised you otherwise. This is because there is a preservative in bottles of eye drops which can affect soft contact lenses. You may wear soft contact lenses while you are using the single-dose units as there is no preservative in these.
Can sodium hyaluronate eye drops cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Possible sodium hyaluronate eye drop side-effects ||What can I do if I experience this? |
|Eye irritation ||This should pass after a minute or so. If it continues, speak with your doctor for advice |
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to these eye drops, discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store sodium hyaluronate eye drops
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
- Single-dose units should be used immediately the unit is opened. Do not store or re-use opened units for subsequent doses. This is because the units do not contain any preservative.
- Eye drops in bottles only keep for four weeks once the bottle has been opened, so do not use the drops if the bottle has been open for longer than this. This will help to prevent the risk of eye infections.