Generic Name: Chlorhexidine
Examples include Peridex and PerioGard
Peridex Solution is used for:
Treating certain types of gingivitis between dental visits as part of a professional program. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Peridex Solution is a topical antimicrobial. It works by reacting with the microbial cell surface, destroying the cell membrane, and killing the cell.
Do NOT use Peridex Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Peridex Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Peridex Solution:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have fillings or other dental work on your front teeth, or if you have periodontitis (another dental disease)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Peridex Solution. However, no specific interactions with Peridex Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Peridex Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Peridex Solution:
Use Peridex Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use after breakfast and before bedtime unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- First brush your teeth. Measure the prescribed amount in the cap, which is marked for medicine dosing. Rinse for 30 seconds, then spit out the medicine. Do not swallow Peridex Solution.
- Do not rinse with water or other mouthwashes, brush teeth, or eat immediately after using Peridex Solution.
- If you miss a dose of Peridex Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Peridex Solution.
Important safety information:
- You should have a dental appointment at least every six months while you are using Peridex Solution.
- Peridex Solution may cause staining of the teeth that can usually be removed with appropriate dental procedures. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Peridex Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Peridex Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Peridex Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Peridex Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Peridex Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild irritation; tartar; taste changes; tooth staining.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); numbness or tingling in the mouth; sores or irritation of the mouth; swelling not present when you began using Peridex Solution.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms include nausea or signs of alcohol intoxication.Proper storage of Peridex Solution:
Store Peridex Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Peridex Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Peridex Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Peridex Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Peridex Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Peridex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Peridex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Peridex oral rinse Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Peridex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Betasept Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Betasept Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- PerioGard Prescribing Information (FDA)