Generic Name: Chorionic Gonadotropin
(kor-ee-ON-ik goe-NAD-oh-troe-pin)Brand Name:
Examples include Pregnyl and Profasi HP
Profasi HP is used for:
Treating fertility problems in certain women who have not gone through menopause. Treating certain testicular development problems and stimulating the development of secondary sexual characteristics in certain patients. It is also used to treat boys 4 to 9 years of age who have testicles that have not moved into the scrotum.
Profasi HP is a hormone. Human chorionic gonadotropin (H CG) stimulates cells in the testicles to produce androgens. Androgens cause the development of male secondary sexual characteristics (eg, hair growth, deepening voice) and may cause the testicles to drop. Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) stimulates ovulation (release of an egg) in women.
Do NOT use Profasi HP if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Profasi HP
- you have androgen (male sex hormone)-dependent tumors, prostate cancer, an active blood clot(s), brain lesions, an enlarged ovary or ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, or an enlargement or tumor of the pituitary gland
- you are experiencing abnormally early puberty
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Profasi HP :
Some medical conditions may interact with Profasi HP . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, bleeding in the reproductive or urinary tract, heart or kidney problems, migraine headaches, polycystic ovarian syndrome, or epilepsy
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Profasi HP . However, no specific interactions with Profasi HP are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Profasi HP may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Profasi HP :
Use Profasi HP as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Profasi HP is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Profasi HP at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Profasi HP contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Using the technique described to you by your doctor, add the diluent to the vial that contains the medicine. Mix the solution by gently rotating the vial. DO NOT SHAKE. The solution should be clear and free of particles.
- Wipe the rubber stopper of the vial with an alcohol swab. Insert the needle straight through the center circle of the rubber stopper. Draw up the solution for injection. After drawing up the solution, switch needles. Be sure all air bubbles are tapped out of the syringe.
- Wipe the appropriate injection site (usually the upper thigh or buttocks) with an alcohol swab, then insert the syringe. To be sure that the needle is not in a vein, pull back on the plunger of the syringe while holding the syringe in place. If the syringe begins to fill with blood, the needle is in a vein. If this happens, remove the needle from the skin, throw the syringe away, and start the procedure again using new materials (drugs, syringes, etc.).
- After giving the injection, cover the injection site with a small bandage if necessary.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Profasi HP , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Profasi HP .
Important safety information:
- You must receive a thorough gynecological exam before beginning treatment with Profasi HP .
- Use of Profasi HP can increase your risk of multiple births (eg, twins or triplets), blood clots, enlarged ovaries, and ruptured ovarian cysts. Discuss this risk with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including hormone levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Profasi HP is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 4 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Profasi HP during pregnancy. It is unknown if Profasi HP is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast feeding while you are using Profasi HP , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Profasi HP :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Fatigue; headache; irritability; nausea; pain, swelling, bruising, or redness at the injection site; restlessness; tiredness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal breast development; bloating or swelling in the stomach or pelvic area; breast tenderness; chest pain; depression; infrequent urination; irregular heartbeat; leg pain; persistent or severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; stomach or pelvic pain; sudden shortness of breath; swelling of feet or legs; unusual early onset of puberty; weight gain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Profasi HP :
Profasi HP is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Profasi HP at home, store Profasi HP as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Profasi HP out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Profasi HP , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Profasi HP is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Profasi HP . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.