Ropinirole (roe-PIN-i-ROLE)Brand Name:
Ropinirole is used for:
Treating Parkinson disease and restless leg syndrome (RLS). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ropinirole is a dopamine agonist. It works in certain areas of the brain to reduce the symptoms of RLS and Parkinson disease.
Do NOT use Ropinirole if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ropinirole
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ropinirole :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ropinirole . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems, high or low blood pressure, liver disease, mental or mood problems, or a sleep disorder
- if you smoke, drink alcohol, or have a personal or family history of addiction (eg, gambling, alcohol)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ropinirole . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Entacapone or levodopa because the risk of hallucinations may be increased
- Benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), medicines for mental or mood problems (eg, antidepressants, antipsychotics), or medicines for sleep (eg, zolpidem) because the risk of severe drowsiness may be increased
- Estrogens (eg, estradiol), fluvoxamine, or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin) because they may increase the risk of Ropinirole 's side effects
- Butyrophenones (eg, haloperidol), metoclopramide, omeprazole, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), or thioxanthenes (eg, thiothixene) because they may decrease Ropinirole 's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ropinirole may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ropinirole :
Use Ropinirole as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Ropinirole . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Ropinirole by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Ropinirole or change your dose without checking with your doctor. Certain severe side effects (eg, abnormal thinking, confusion, fever, stiff muscles) may occur. If you need to stop Ropinirole or add a new medicine, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Ropinirole , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ropinirole .
Important safety information:
- Ropinirole may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Ropinirole with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Ropinirole ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Ropinirole may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Some people who use Ropinirole may experience sudden onset of severe drowsiness or may even fall asleep during normal daily activities (eg, eating, talking, driving). This could occur without warning. If this happens, do not drive, operate machinery, or perform other possibly unsafe tasks while you use Ropinirole . Tell your doctor right away.
- Some people have experienced new, unusual, or increased urges (eg, gambling, sexual urges) while using Ropinirole . Tell your doctor right away if you notice such effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Patients with Parkinson disease may have an increased risk of developing a certain type of skin cancer (melanoma). It is not known if Ropinirole also increases the risk of melanoma. You may need to have skin exams while you are using Ropinirole . Tell your doctor if you notice any unusual skin growths or a change in the appearance of a mole. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- If you are taking Ropinirole for RLS, contact your doctor if you experience new or worsening symptoms, especially in the early morning hours.
- Use Ropinirole with caution in ELDERLY patients with Parkinson disease; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially hallucinations.
- Ropinirole should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ropinirole while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ropinirole is found in breast milk. Ropinirole may decrease breast milk production. Do not breast-feed while taking Ropinirole .
Possible side effects of Ropinirole :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; fatigue; headache; increased sweating; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; sore throat or flu-like symptoms; stomach pain or upset; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; blood in the urine; blurred vision; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; fainting; falling asleep during the daytime or during normal activities (eg, conversations, eating); fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; impotence; joint stiffness or pain; nightmares; numbness or tingling of the skin; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; swelling of the arms or legs; uncontrolled muscle movements.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; chest pain; difficulty moving; facial muscle spasms; hallucinations; low blood pressure when sitting or lying down.Proper storage of Ropinirole :
Store Ropinirole at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Ropinirole out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ropinirole , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ropinirole is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ropinirole . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ropinirole Prescribing Information (FDA)
- ropinirole Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Requip Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Requip Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Requip Consumer Overview