Generic Name: Trimethobenzamide
Tigan Solution is used for:
Treating nausea and vomiting.
Tigan Solution is an antiemetic. It works by blocking one of the chemical messengers that stimulates nausea and vomiting.
Do NOT use Tigan Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tigan Solution
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- the patient is a child
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tigan Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tigan Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a brain disease, dehydration, electrolyte disturbance, fever, persistent diarrhea, or Reye syndrome
- if you have a history of kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tigan Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ethanol (alcohol-containing beverages or medicines) because side effects, such as increased drowsiness, may occur
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because side effects, such as drowsiness and increased sleep duration, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tigan Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tigan Solution:
Use Tigan Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tigan Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Tigan Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Tigan Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Tigan Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Tigan Solution and you are taking it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tigan Solution.
Important safety information:
- Tigan Solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Tigan Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Tigan Solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Tigan Solution for future conditions without checking with your doctor.
- Use Tigan Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Tigan Solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Tigan Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Tigan Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Tigan Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; depression; diarrhea; disorientation; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; muscle cramps; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions; fever; loss of balance; seizures; shuffling walk; sore throat; uncontrolled movements of the arms or legs; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Tigan Solution:
Store Tigan Solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tigan Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tigan Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tigan Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Tigan Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tigan Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tigan Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Tigan Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Tigan Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Trimethobenzamide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Benzacot Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information