Generic Name: Tolnaftate
Examples include Tinactin and Tinamar
Tinactin Powder is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections such as athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tinactin Powder is an antifungal. It works by blocking the growth of fungi that cause skin infections.
Do NOT use Tinactin Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tinactin Powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tinactin Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tinactin Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tinactin Powder. Because little, if any, of Tinactin Powder is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tinactin Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tinactin Powder:
Use Tinactin Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tinactin Powder is for topical use on the skin only.
- Shake well before each use.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle on enough medicine to cover the affected area. Do not cover unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Tinactin Powder, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not get Tinactin Powder in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- For athlete's foot, wear well-fitting, ventilated shoes and change shoes and socks at least once per day.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Tinactin Powder for the full course of treatment. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Tinactin Powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tinactin Powder.
Important safety information:
- Tinactin Powder is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Tinactin Powder may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken Tinactin Powder by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- It is important to use Tinactin Powder for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Tinactin Powder and may increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to Tinactin Powder and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antifungals in the future.
- Tinactin Powder is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age unless directed by a doctor. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Tinactin Powder during pregnancy.
Possible side effects of Tinactin Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Tinactin Powder:
Store Tinactin Powder at room temperature in the original container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tinactin Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tinactin Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tinactin Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Tinactin Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tinactin Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Tinactin Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information