Generic Name: Tolnaftate
Examples include Tinactin and Tinamar
Tinamar Powder is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections such as athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tinamar Powder is an antifungal. It works by blocking the growth of fungi that cause skin infections.
Do NOT use Tinamar Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tinamar Powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tinamar Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tinamar Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tinamar Powder. Because little, if any, of Tinamar Powder is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tinamar Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tinamar Powder:
Use Tinamar Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tinamar Powder is for topical use on the skin only.
- Shake well before each use.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle on enough medicine to cover the affected area. Do not cover unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Tinamar Powder, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not get Tinamar Powder in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- For athlete's foot, wear well-fitting, ventilated shoes and change shoes and socks at least once per day.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Tinamar Powder for the full course of treatment. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Tinamar Powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tinamar Powder.
Important safety information:
- Tinamar Powder is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Tinamar Powder may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken Tinamar Powder by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- It is important to use Tinamar Powder for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Tinamar Powder and may increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to Tinamar Powder and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antifungals in the future.
- Tinamar Powder is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age unless directed by a doctor. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Tinamar Powder during pregnancy.
Possible side effects of Tinamar Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Tinamar Powder:
Store Tinamar Powder at room temperature in the original container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tinamar Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tinamar Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tinamar Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Tinamar Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.