Trolamine Salicylate (TROE-la-meen sa-LIS-i-late)Brand Name:
Examples include Aspercreme Cream and Myoflex Cream
Trolamine Salicylate is used for:
Temporarily relieving minor pain and inflammation.
Trolamine Salicylate is a topical salicylate pain reliever. It works by reducing swelling and inflammation in the muscle and joints.
Do NOT use Trolamine Salicylate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Trolamine Salicylate
- you have had an allergic reaction to aspirin or other salicylate products
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Trolamine Salicylate :
Some medical conditions may interact with Trolamine Salicylate . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Trolamine Salicylate . Because little, if any, of Trolamine Salicylate is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Trolamine Salicylate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine
How to use Trolamine Salicylate :
Use Trolamine Salicylate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a generous amount to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine into the skin until it is completely absorbed.
- Do NOT apply to open wounds or to skin that is broken, damaged, or irritated in any way.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Trolamine Salicylate , unless they are part of the treated area.
- Do not use Trolamine Salicylate more than 4 times per day, unless your doctor tells you to.
- If you miss a dose of Trolamine Salicylate , use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Trolamine Salicylate .
Important safety information:
- Do NOT get Trolamine Salicylate in the eyes, mouth, or nose.
- Tell your doctor if the painful area is red of if the skin becomes irritated.
- Tell your doctor if your symptoms clear up and then return within a few days.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Trolamine Salicylate should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Trolamine Salicylate while you are pregnant. It is not known if Trolamine Salicylate is found in breast milk after topical use.
Possible side effects of Trolamine Salicylate :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Trolamine Salicylate . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin redness or irritation
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Trolamine Salicylate :
Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Trolamine Salicylate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Trolamine Salicylate , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Trolamine Salicylate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Trolamine Salicylate . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.