Generic Name: Benzyl Alcohol
(BEN-zil AL-ka-hol)Brand Name:
Ulesfia Lotion is used for:
The topical treatment of head lice in patients 6 months of age and older.
Ulesfia Lotion is a pediculicide. It works by killing lice.
Do NOT use Ulesfia Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ulesfia Lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ulesfia Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ulesfia Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are using Ulesfia Lotion on a baby and the baby was born early (premature)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ulesfia Lotion. Because little, if any, of Ulesfia Lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Ulesfia Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ulesfia Lotion:
Use Ulesfia Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Ulesfia Lotion. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Ulesfia Lotion is for topical use only. Do not get Ulesfia Lotion in the eyes. Keep eyes closed until Ulesfia Lotion is rinsed out of the hair. If using Ulesfia Lotion on a child, cover the eyes with a washcloth or towel.
- Apply enough of Ulesfia Lotion to saturate hair and scalp, especially behind the ears and on the back of the neck. Leave on hair for 10 minutes. Rinse with water. Repeat treatment after 7 days.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Ulesfia Lotion.
- All personal headgear, scarves, coats, and bed linens should be disinfected by machine washing in hot water and drying. Use the hot cycle of a dryer for at least 20 minutes.
- Personal articles of clothing and bedding that cannot be washed or dried by machine may be dry cleaned, sealed in a plastic bag for a period of about 2 weeks, or sprayed with a product specifically designed for this purpose.
- Personal combs and brushes may be disinfected by soaking in hot water above 130 degrees F (54 degrees C) for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly vacuum rooms, including furniture, of individuals infected with lice.
- If you miss a dose of Ulesfia Lotion, use it as soon as you remember.
Continue to use it as directed by your doctor. Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ulesfia Lotion.
Important safety information:
- Ulesfia Lotion is for external use only. Do not use it near the eyes or allow it to come into contact with the inside of the nose, mouth, or genitals. Irritation may occur if Ulesfia Lotion comes into contact with these areas. If Ulesfia Lotion gets in your eyes, flush with water immediately.
- If you have lice in the eyebrows or eyelashes, check with your doctor before using Ulesfia Lotion.
- Ulesfia Lotion has benzyl alcohol in it. Do not use it in NEWBORNS or INFANTS younger than 6 months old. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects.
- Ulesfia Lotion should only be used under the direct supervision of an adult.
- Ulesfia Lotion may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Ulesfia Lotion may cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction to the skin (eg, rash, itching, redness). Contact your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Use Ulesfia Lotion with caution in ELDERLY patients older than 60 years old; safety and effectiveness in these patients have not been established.
- Ulesfia Lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ulesfia Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ulesfia Lotion is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ulesfia Lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ulesfia Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild skin or scalp irritation, itching, numbness, or pain.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); painful, red skin bumps or ulcers.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ulesfia Lotion:
Store Ulesfia Lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Ulesfia Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ulesfia Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ulesfia Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ulesfia Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ulesfia Consumer Overview
- Zilactin Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information