Generic Name: Prenatal Multivitamins and Minerals with Docusate, Iron, and Folic Acid
(pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)Brand Name:
Ultra NatalCare is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may be also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ultra NatalCare is a vitamin, mineral, folic acid, and stool softener combination. It works by providing extra vitamins, minerals, and folic acid to the body. The stool softener helps to decrease constipation that may occur with iron products.
Do NOT use Ultra NatalCare if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ultra NatalCare
- you have high levels of iron in your blood, hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism), or Wilson disease (a disorder of copper metabolism)
- you have nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain from an unknown cause; appendicitis; or a history of bowel blockage
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ultra NatalCare :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ultra NatalCare . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a bowel disorder (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), certain blood disorders (eg, hemolytic, megaloblastic or pernicious anemia, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), kidney stones, or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
- if you have stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ultra NatalCare . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin and fluorouracil because their actions and side effects may be increased by Ultra NatalCare .
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ultra NatalCare .
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased by Ultra NatalCare .
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ultra NatalCare may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ultra NatalCare :
Use Ultra NatalCare as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ultra NatalCare by mouth with food.
- Take Ultra NatalCare with a full glass of water.
- Swallow whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Avoid taking Ultra NatalCare with dairy products as they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Ultra NatalCare .
- If you also take bisphosphonates (eg, etidronate), quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), do not take them within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Ultra NatalCare . Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you also take antacids, cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, or levodopa, do not take them within 3 hours before or 3 hours after taking Ultra NatalCare . Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you also take eltrombopag, do not take it within 4 hours before or 4 hours after taking Ultra NatalCare . Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Ultra NatalCare , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ultra NatalCare .
Important safety information:
- While you are taking Ultra NatalCare you may notice darkening of stools. This is normal.
- Ultra NatalCare has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Ultra NatalCare contains a stool softener. Do not take any other laxative or stool softener products without first checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ultra NatalCare while you are pregnant. Ultra NatalCare is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ultra NatalCare , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ultra NatalCare :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; headache; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Ultra NatalCare :
Store Ultra NatalCare at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ultra NatalCare out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ultra NatalCare , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ultra NatalCare is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ultra NatalCare . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Advance Care Plus Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Advanced Natalcare Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Prenate Elite tablets
- PrimaCare ONE capsules