Generic Name: Tioconazole
Examples include Monistat-1 and Vagistat-1
Vagistat-1 is used for:
Treating vaginal yeast infections.
Vagistat-1 is an antifungal agent. It works by weakening the cell membrane of the fungus, resulting in the death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Vagistat-1 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vagistat-1
- you have never had a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed by a doctor
- you have diabetes, a positive HIV test, or AIDS
- you have stomach, back, or shoulder pain; fever (above 100 degrees F); chills; nausea; vomiting; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; or diarrhea
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vagistat-1 :
Some medical conditions may interact with Vagistat-1 . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have been exposed to HIV
- if this is the first time you have had vaginal itching and discomfort
- if you have shoulder, stomach, or lower back pain; fever; chills; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; or nausea or vomiting
- if you have frequent yeast infections (eg, 1 per month, 3 within 6 months)
- if you are taking antibiotics
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vagistat-1 . However, no specific interactions with Vagistat-1 are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vagistat-1 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vagistat-1 :
Use Vagistat-1 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Vagistat-1 . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Vagistat-1 is for vaginal use only. Do not use in the eyes or take by mouth.
- Insert 1 applicatorful into the vagina at bedtime. Throw applicator away after use.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Vagistat-1 .
- Only one dose of Vagistat-1 is required. If you forget to use Vagistat-1 , use it as soon as you remember.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vagistat-1 .
Important safety information:
- Vagistat-1 is for vaginal use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Vagistat-1 in your eyes, flush with a generous amount of cool water.
- Most women who use Vagistat-1 do not experience complete relief of symptoms within 1 day. Most women experience some relief within 1 day and complete relief within 7 days. If your symptoms do not improve within 3 days, if they last more than 7 days, or if they become worse, stop using Vagistat-1 and contact your health care provider at once. You may have a more serious illness.
- Do not use Vagistat-1 for itching caused by other conditions.
- Do not use tampons while you are using Vagistat-1 and until all of your symptoms go away. Use unscented pads or pantiliners.
- Do not have vaginal sexual intercourse while you are using Vagistat-1 .
- Vagistat-1 may decrease the effectiveness of condoms and diaphragms, increasing the chance of pregnancy or risk of sexually transmitted disease. Do not use condoms or diaphragms for at least 3 days after treatment with Vagistat-1 .
- Do not use tampons, douches, spermicides, or other vaginal products while using Vagistat-1 .
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Vagistat-1 should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vagistat-1 while you are pregnant. It is not known if Vagistat-1 is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vagistat-1 , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vagistat-1 :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild vaginal burning, irritation, or itching.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever or chills; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; nausea; severe or prolonged vaginal burning, irritation, or itching; stomach pain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vagistat-1 :
Store Vagistat-1 at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use if the wrapper on the applicator is torn or damaged. Keep Vagistat-1 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vagistat-1 , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vagistat-1 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vagistat-1 . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vagistat-1 Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)