Generic Name: Nelfinavir
Viracept Powder is used for:
Treating HIV infection in combination with other medicines.
Viracept Powder is an HIV protease inhibitor. It works by blocking a substance that is needed for the HIV virus to multiply.
Do NOT use Viracept Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Viracept Powder
- you have moderate to severe liver problems
- you are taking alfuzosin, amiodarone, astemizole, carbamazepine, certain benzodiazepines (eg, midazolam, triazolam), cisapride, an ergot derivative (eg, ergotamine, dihydroergotamine), certain HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, lovastatin, simvastatin), phenobarbital, pimozide, omeprazole, quinidine, rifampin, St. John's wort, or terfenadine
- you have taken eletriptan within the past 72 hours
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Viracept Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Viracept Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems, diabetes, high blood sugar, or hemophilia
- if you have phenylketonuria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Viracept Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine , omeprazole, phenobarbital, rifampin or St. John's wort because they may decrease Viracept Powder's effectiveness
- Alfuzosin, amiodarone, astemizole, certain benzodiazepines (eg, midazolam, triazolam), cisapride, eletriptan, ergot derivatives (eg, dihydroergotamine, ergotamine), certain HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, lovastatin, simvastatin ), pimozide, quinidine, or terfenadine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Viracept Powder
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for infections, inflammation, aches and pains, allergies, asthma, birth control, blood thinning, cancer, enlarged prostate, erectile dysfunction, HIV, heart problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heartburn or ulcers, immune system suppression, irregular heartbeat, mental or mood problems, migraine headaches, seizures, trouble sleeping), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, coenzyme Q10, garlic, ginkgo, ginseng, herbal teas, St. John's wort) may interact with Viracept Powder, increasing the risk of side effects or decreasing effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Viracept Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Viracept Powder:
Use Viracept Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Viracept Powder. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Viracept Powder by mouth with a meal.
- Use the scoop provided with Viracept Powder to measure your dose.
- Viracept Powder may be mixed with water, milk, formula, soy formula, soy milk, dietary supplements, or dairy foods (eg, pudding, ice cream). Do not mix Viracept Powder in its original container. Do not mix it with any acidic food (eg, orange or grapefruit juice, apple juice, applesauce). Do not heat the mixed dose once it has been prepared.
- Take Viracept Powder immediately after mixing. It may also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours after mixing.
- Once the medicine is mixed, consume the entire mixture to get the full dose. Rinse the glass or container with water and swallow the rinse to be sure that the entire dose is taken.
- If you are taking didanosine, take it at least 1 hour before or more than 2 hours after Viracept Powder.
- Take Viracept Powder on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking it at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Viracept Powder even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Viracept Powder, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you miss several doses of Viracept Powder, check with your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Viracept Powder.
Important safety information:
- Keep a list of all the medicines that you take. Make a new list each time a medicine is added or stopped. Find out about medicines that should not be taken while you are taking Viracept Powder. Be sure that each of your health care providers knows all the medicines that you are taking.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose, change the dose, or stop taking Viracept Powder without checking with your doctor.
- Viracept Powder is not a cure for HIV infection. Patients may still get illnesses and infections associated with HIV. Remain under the care of your doctor.
- When your medicine supply is low, get more from your doctor or pharmacist as soon as you can. Do not stop taking Viracept Powder, even for a short period of time. If you do, the virus may grow resistant to the medicine and become harder to treat.
- Viracept Powder does not stop the spread of HIV to others through blood or sexual contact. Use barrier methods of birth control (eg, condoms) if you have HIV infection. Do not share needles, injection supplies, or items like toothbrushes or razors.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Viracept Powder. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Changes in body fat (eg, an increased amount of fat in the upper back, neck, breast, and trunk, and loss of fat from the legs, arms, and face) may occur in some patients taking Viracept Powder. The cause and long-term effects of these changes are unknown. Discuss any concerns with your doctor.
- Viracept Powder may improve immune system function. This may reveal hidden infections in some patients. Tell your doctor right away if you notice symptoms of infection (eg, fever, sore throat, weakness, cough, shortness of breath) after you start Viracept Powder.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Viracept Powder may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Diabetes patients - Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including CD4 counts, may be performed while you use Viracept Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Viracept Powder with caution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to it effects, especially loss of appetite and low white blood cell levels.
- Viracept Powder should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Viracept Powder while you are pregnant. Mothers infected with HIV should not breast-feed. There is a risk of passing the HIV infection or Viracept Powder to the baby.
Possible side effects of Viracept Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; gas; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever, chills, or sore throat; mental or mood changes; suicidal thoughts or actions; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, confusion; flushed face; fruit-like breath odor; increased thirst, hunger, or urination; unusual drowsiness); unusual bleeding or bruising.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Viracept Powder:
Store Viracept Powder at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in its original container. Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Viracept Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Viracept Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Viracept Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Viracept Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Viracept Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Viracept Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Viracept Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Viracept Consumer Overview