Zamadol / Zamadol 24hr / Zamadol Melt / Zamadol SR
- Tramadol is used to treat severe pain.
- Tramadol may cause drowsiness. Make sure your reactions are normal before driving, operating machinery or doing any other jobs which could be dangerous if you were not fully alert.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are being treated with tramadol.
|Type of medicine ||Analgesic |
|Used for ||Pain |
|Also called ||Larapam® SR, Mabron®, Marol®, Maxitram® SR, Tradorec® XL, Tramquel® SR, Tramulief® SR, Zamadol®, Zamadol® Melt, Zamadol® 24hr, Zamadol® SR, Zeridame® SR, Zydol®, Zydol® SR, Zydol® XL |
|Available as ||Capsule, soluble tablet, orodispersible tablet (dissolves in the mouth), oral drops, injection, modified-release capsule and modified-release tablet |
Tramadol is used to relieve severe pain. It works on the nerves and brain to reduce the pain you feel.
Before taking tramadol
Before taking tramadol make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you have liver, kidney or prostate problems.
- If you have bile duct problems.
- If you have respiratory (breathing) problems, such as asthma.
- If you have thyroid problems.
- If you have a convulsive disorder such as epilepsy.
- If you have low blood pressure.
- If you have been constipated for more than a week, with or without tummy pain and bloatedness.
- If you have any inflammatory bowel problems.
- If you have an adrenal gland problem.
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a muscle weakening disorder).
- If you have porphyria (a rare blood disorder).
- If you have recently suffered a serious head injury.
- If you have ever had a problem with drug addiction.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
- If you are taking any other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
How to take tramadol
- Before beginning treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet.
- Take tramadol exactly as you have been directed by your doctor. Never take more than the prescribed dose.
- If you have been given soluble tablets or the oral drops, these should be dissolved in a small glass of water before taking as directed.
- If you have been given orodispersible (melt-in-the-mouth) tablets, these will dissolve quickly in your mouth when sucked, or they can be dissolved in half a glass of water before taking.
- Modified-release tablets and capsules release tramadol slowly over time to give a more prolonged and even effect. These must be swallowed whole and should not be broken, crushed or chewed, otherwise they may release the drug too quickly and cause side-effects.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Do not drink alcohol with tramadol. This is because taking tramadol and alcohol will increase the chance you experience the side-effects of dizziness and drowsiness.
Can tramadol cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, all medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Common tramadol side-effects ||What can I do if I experience this? |
|Feeling or being sick ||Stick to simple foods. Eat little and often |
|Constipation ||Try to eat a well-balanced diet containing plenty of fibre and drink 6-8 glasses of water each day. If constipation continues to be a problem speak to your pharmacist or doctor |
|Diarrhoea ||Drink plenty of water to replace lost fluids. If diarrhoea continues to be a problem speak to your pharmacist or doctor |
|Dry mouth ||Try chewing sugar-free gum or sugar-free sweets |
|Tiredness, palpitations, light-headedness, dizziness, confusion, headache, and drowsiness ||If any of these become troublesome, speak with your doctor |
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store tramadol
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.