Generic Name: Tizanidine
Zanaflex is used for:
Treating muscle spasms. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zanaflex is a skeletal muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerves that stimulate muscles to contract.
Do NOT use Zanaflex if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zanaflex
- you are taking ciprofloxacin or fluvoxamine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zanaflex :
Some medical conditions may interact with Zanaflex . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems or prostate problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zanaflex . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acyclovir, antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine, propafenone), cimetidine, famotidine, fluvoxamine, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), ticlopidine, verapamil, or zileuton because they may increase the risk of Zanaflex 's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zanaflex may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zanaflex :
Use Zanaflex as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Zanaflex by mouth.
- Food can change the way your body absorbs and uses Zanaflex . Be sure to discuss this with your doctor to determine the best way to take your dose, especially when changes to your dose are being considered, or if you are being prescribed a different dose form of Zanaflex (eg, tablets or capsules).
- Do not suddenly stop taking Zanaflex . If you need to stop Zanaflex , your doctor will gradually lower your dose to prevent symptoms of withdrawal, including high blood pressure, fast heartbeat, tremor, anxiety, and muscle tension.
- If you miss a dose of Zanaflex , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zanaflex .
Important safety information:
- Zanaflex may cause drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zanaflex with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Zanaflex ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Zanaflex may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not switch between the tablet and capsule forms of Zanaflex unless your doctor tells you to. You may have an increased risk of side effects if you start to take one form and then switch to another. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before you take Zanaflex if you receive a different form than what you have previously been taking.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Zanaflex before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, such as liver tests, may be performed while you use Zanaflex . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Zanaflex with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Zanaflex should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Zanaflex can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zanaflex while you are pregnant. It is not known if Zanaflex is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zanaflex , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zanaflex :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flushing; tiredness; weakness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); change in emotions, mood, or behavior; hallucinations; increased muscle spasms; muscle weakness; slow heartbeat; trouble urinating or lack of bladder control; urinary tract infection; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; loss of consciousness; severe drowsiness; trouble breathing.Proper storage of Zanaflex :
Store Zanaflex at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zanaflex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zanaflex , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zanaflex is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zanaflex . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zanaflex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Zanaflex Consumer Overview
- Zanaflex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Zanaflex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Tizanidine Prescribing Information (FDA)