Generic Name: Clindamycin/Tretinoin
Ziana is used for:
Ziana is a lincosamide antibiotic and retinoid combination. The antibiotic kills bacteria that cause acne. The retinoid may reduce the tendency for skin cells to stick together. This may reduce the formation of acne and allow quicker healing of acne that does develop.
Do NOT use Ziana if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ziana or to lincomycin
- you have stomach or bowel inflammation (eg, Crohn disease, enteritis, ulcerative colitis)
- you have a history of severe diarrhea or other bowel problems caused by antibiotic use
- you are using a product that contains erythromycin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ziana :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ziana . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an open wound, sunburn, or damaged skin at the application site
- if you have a history of eczema, high white blood cell counts, or stomach or bowel problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ziana . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Products that contain erythromycin because they may decrease Ziana 's effectiveness.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ziana may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ziana :
Use Ziana as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Ziana . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Apply Ziana at bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Ziana is for external use only. Do not get it in the eyes, vagina, or mouth; on the lips; or in the angles of the nose. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool tap water.
- Do NOT apply Ziana to open wounds.
- Wash your face gently with mild soap and water. Pat the skin dry. Apply a pea-size amount of Ziana to the tip of your finger. Dot onto the chin, cheeks, nose, and forehead. Gently smooth Ziana over the entire face until it is completely rubbed in.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Ziana .
- Use Ziana on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Continue to use it even if your skin appears to improve. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Ziana , skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ziana .
Important safety information:
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Doing so may increase the risk of skin irritation.
- Do not use other topical medicines or products that have a strong drying effect. Some examples are medicated or abrasive soaps; certain cosmetics; or products with large amounts of alcohol, spices, lime, or astringents. These products may increase your risk for skin irritation.
- Windy or cold weather may increase the risk of skin irritation while you are using Ziana .
- Ziana may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Ziana . Wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time. Use sunscreen each day, even on cloudy days. Reapply the sunscreen throughout the day as needed.
- Do not apply Ziana to skin that is sunburned. Wait until the burn is fully healed before using Ziana .
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you use Ziana before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramping, or bloody stools develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with Ziana , check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it without first checking with your doctor.
- Ziana should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ziana while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ziana is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Ziana .
Possible side effects of Ziana :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry skin; mild burning, itching, peeling, redness, scaling, or stinging of the skin; temporary change in skin color.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistered, crusted, or swollen skin; bloody, severe, or persistent diarrhea; mucus in stools; severe or persistent burning, itching, peeling, redness, or scaling of the skin; stomach cramps or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Ziana may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Ziana :
Store Ziana at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep the tube tightly closed. Keep Ziana out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ziana , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ziana is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ziana . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ziana Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ziana Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Ziana Consumer Overview