Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad
Cadexomer Iodine (kad-EX-oh-mer EYE-oh-dine)Brand Name:
Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad is used for:
Cleansing and protecting wounds and sores (eg, wet ulcers, venous stasis ulcers, pressure sores, infected surgical wounds). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad is an antibacterial and absorbent agent. It works by absorbing fluid and bacteria from the surface of the wound, which helps it to heal.
Do NOT use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad, including iodine
- you have Hashimoto thyroiditis, a history of Graves disease or nontoxic nodular goiter, or other thyroid problems
- you are pregnant or breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of thyroid or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad. However, no specific interactions with Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad:
Use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An additional patient leaflet is available with Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Wash your hands before and after using Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad, unless your hands are a part of the treated area.
- Clean the wound and surrounding area with a gentle stream of sterile water or saline. Gently blot away excess fluid, leaving the surface slightly moist.
- With gloved hands, remove the carrier gauze on one or both sides of the pad. Place the pad in contact with the wound surface as directed by your doctor. If there is any remaining medicine, throw it away.
- Cover the wound with dry, sterile gauze or other dressing as directed by your doctor.
- Apply a compression bandage as directed if your doctor has told you to do so.
- Change the pad when the medicine changes from brown to yellow/gray or as directed by your doctor.
- To change the pad, peel the gauze away from the wound. You may soak the gauze for a few minutes as directed if needed to help remove it.
- Remove the medicine with sterile water or saline. Gently blot away excess fluid, leaving the surface slightly moist. Reapply a new pad as directed.
- If you miss a dose of Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad as directed by your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad.
Important safety information:
- Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad is for external use only. Do not get Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad in any of these areas, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad is not effective in cleaning dry wounds.
- The wound may appear larger during the first few days of treatment, due to decreased swelling.
- Do not use more of Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad than prescribed.
- Do not use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad for longer than 3 months without checking with your doctor.
- Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad may interfere with certain lab tests, including thyroid function tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad.
- Use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad.
Possible side effects of Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild irritation, pain, redness, or swelling at the application site.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent irritation, pain, redness, or swelling at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad:
Store Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cadexomer Iodine Gel Pad. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.