Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets
Generic Name: Doxazosin
Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets are used for:
It may be used for treating symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Treating certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets are an alpha-blocker. It works by relaxing muscles in the prostate and bladder to improve the flow of urine.
Do NOT use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient of Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets or to similar medicines (eg, prazosin, terazosin)
- you have severe liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of prostate cancer, kidney or liver problems, or high or low blood pressure
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel problems (eg, short bowel syndrome, narrowing, blockage, severe or chronic constipation)
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, angina) or you have had a heart attack within the past 6 months
- if you will be having eye surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any of the following medicines.
- Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, vardenafil) because severe low blood pressure may occur
- Anticholinergics (eg, benzotropine), clarithromycin, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, telithromycin, or voriconazole because they may increase the risk of Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets:
Use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets by mouth with breakfast.
- Swallow Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Continue to take Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets may cause a sudden drop in blood pressure after the first dose. These effects will more likely occur after the first few doses or if your dose has increased, but can occur at any time while you are taking Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets. If can also occur if you stop taking the medicine and then restart treatment.
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Before drinking alcohol, discuss it with your doctor. Alcohol may worsen dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets may rarely cause a prolonged, painful erection. This could happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it could lead to permanent sexual problems such as impotence. Contact your doctor right away if this happens.
- You may notice the tablet shell in your stool. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery (including eye surgery).
- Lab tests, including blood pressure, may be performed while you use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially low blood pressure.
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets.
Possible side effects of Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; headache; heartburn; lightheadedness; stomach upset; weakness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; painful or difficult urination; prolonged, painful erection; severe or prolonged dizziness or headache; shortness of breath; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe dizziness, drowsiness, or lightheadedness.Proper storage of Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets:
Store Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets out of reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- If using Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets for an extended period of time, obtain refills before your supply runs out.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cardura XL Extended-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cardura XL Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cardura XL Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Doxazosin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cardura Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cardura Consumer Overview
- Cardura Prescribing Information (FDA)